C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield.

I broke my windshield. I had it in alright, and before I put it in I looked it over and it appeared the trim would all fit OK. After it was in the trim didnt' fit on the top. There was a gap between the glass and the trim. Which means whoever said I need spacers under the glass is correct and it is my $125 mistake for not listening. But all of the glass shops I talked to said they have never heard of such a thing. Anyway, I broke the windshield trying to cut it back out to put some kind of spacer in. So, what do these spacers look like, and where do I get them? Do they go on both the top and bottom of the glass? I have some rubber that is thick enough that I could cut some spacers out of. It is Chesterton gasket material. Would this be sufficient if I cut some little sqares and embed them in the urethane, then lay the glass on top? Sometimes these "learning experiences get rather spendy". :rolleyes: :cheers:

Justin
Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 AM
dually4wd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield. (Dalannex)

If you get the 3M ribbon kit, it comes with spacers. They come in 3/8" and 5/16", so you may need to line the trim up and measure the gap first. If using urethane to put the glass in, you should still use the foam dam you can get from any glass installer, and they will have spacer blocks too. One more little tip; if you have to cut it out again, use piano wire and go slow, and you will have about a 70 percent chance of success. We've ALL broke 'em before; good luck.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield. (dually4wd)

Is the foam dam adhesive on one side. I mean, somethinng that can be stuck around the frame on the inside edge to keep urethane from squirting out, plus act as a spacer, or do the spacer go in separate as well?
Old 02-05-2002, 10:00 AM
dually4wd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield. (Dalannex)

Yes, the dam is adhesive on one side, and goes around the inner edge of the opening to hold the glass at the right height and keep the urethane from oozing to the inside. The spacers are just little 1" long by about 3/8" square pieces of rubber that you trim to fit. You should only need one on each side at the bottom of the glass to keep it from sliding down after it's in. A lot of the gm cars had bolt-in spacers to do this, but I couldn't tell you if Vettes are supposed to have them or not. Maybe someone else knows, but I'll take a peek at mine when I get to the shop.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:02 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I just used rubber "blocks" I had laying around. I cut them down a little at a time and just glued them in place on the frame, then the glass guys applied their gook and set the window. Installed the header trim real quick after that before everything setup.

BTW: I showed the glass guys a couple of pages from my AIM where it shows the spacers and measurements, etc. They said that's it takes too much time to go thru all that stuff......

[Modified by KenSny, 9:04 AM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield. (KenSny)

OK, now I know what I need. That should be easy enough. I'll get it right this time. Thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I should have listened to you guys. Broke my new windshield.