C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions.

I'm trying to talk my spouse into buying a 454HO for our '70. But I have a few delivery concerns.

1. How much did it cost for shipping? I realize that distance from the vendor is the determining factor.

2. How was it delivered? To your house? If so, does the shipping company unload the engine from the truck? Or more importantly How do they unload the engine.

3.My garage is behind the house. Will they deliver to the rear of the house?

Thanks
Len
Old 02-05-2002, 10:37 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (1970 Stingray)

I haven't done this yet...but have been thinking hard. I think what works better, is letting them put the "crate" in the back of a truck with their forklift, then when you get home, use your engine host to lift it out the crate. If you have them deliver it to your house, you have to have a way to lower it to the ground when they get there.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:08 PM
79Redvette
Pro

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (1970 Stingray)

When i got my ZZ4, it was delivered right to my house. The semi truck had a lift gate. When it was on the ground he loaded it on a dolly ,then took it right to my garage and put it in. The shipping if i remember correctly was 85$. It was about 300 miles away. You can pick it up at their freight terminal and save a little. :D
Old 02-05-2002, 05:14 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (Red79EB02)

Len - right before I got mine, a buddy bought a 330horse from Pace Parts; cost him $80 to Lower Burell. Private party charged me $50 to deliver my ZZ4 from Rochester, Pa. to my mechanic's garage in Edgewood.
Your daughters are gonna LOVE "punching" Daddy's '70 after it's done :nono: :nono: :nono: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Cruz
Old 02-05-2002, 07:01 PM
andre77
Instructor

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (Cruzmeisters)

Got my ZZ4 shipped for free from scoggins. I forked lifted it out of the truck. It was delivered to a business. Good luck :yesnod:
Old 02-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (Red79EB02)

When it was on the ground he loaded it on a dolly ,then took it right to my garage and put it in.
I wonder what look I'll get from the delivery guy when he sees the incline on my driveway when I order my ZZ4 in 5 years! :lol:

Matt
Old 02-05-2002, 07:32 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I bought my ZZ4 from Salle Chevy out in WA. Shipping cost about the same amount as tax would have if I purchased it locally. But Sallee was much better to work with than my local dealer. (and they let me customize my package) :cool:

I had it delivered to a buddys shop where I was doing the swap so we hoisted it off the truck with the lift.

I dont know what I would have done at home??? :confused: But I would have found a way.... great motor!!! :D
Old 02-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions. (Mike69)

Thanks for the input guys. This may be a hard a hard-sell(convincing wife) though, with a price of $4,500 + misc parts & expenses, that'll be about 70% of what I paid for my Vette! :eek: :crazy:

You guys have any ideas as to how I can pull this off?? :confused: I'm open to ideas, suggestions & pointers.

Cruiz---I was in Stephens Barber shop yesterday and picked up a flyer about a parts-a-rama on the 24th(I think) at Wexford Dodge....but you probably know that :yesnod:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 8:55 AM 2/6/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions.

Quick Reply: You guys who bought crate engines, I have a couple questions.