C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:08 AM
FERL 73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter opinions

Which type of filter on a Q-Jet is more efficient/preferable? The inline canister type or the original filter at the carb inlet?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:15 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Fuel filter opinions (FERL 73)

From a performance perspective, an inline filter would be your choice since it has a larger filtering area and won't allow dirty fuel to pass into the float bowl regardless of how much crud you pass into it.

The original filter is not without its charms, though. For one, it is stock and doesn't require that you cut up the original fuel line to splice-in an inline filter with its rubber (and I should add, a potential fuel leak point) hose. If the original filter becomes clogged, it will unseat and allow enough fuel -dirty as it may be- into the bowl to keep you on the road.

If you do go the inline route, use a metal filter instead of the glass filter.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:15 AM
FERL 73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel filter opinions (gerry72)

Thanks Gerry. I am using an all metal in-line filter and was wondering if I should go back to the factory filter.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:15 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Fuel filter opinions (FERL 73)

If you have an inline filter, there's no point in going back to just the carb filters. The carb filters have a spring which allows the fuel to bypass a clogged filter, so you are getting dirty gas to the jets, etc.

An inline filter, at least a good one, will flow better. I am currently using Lar's fuel line/filter idea. I removed the two brass carb filters from my Holley and the fuel line has a tap for a pressure meter that I can hook up every now and then to see if the fuel flow is reducing.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel filter opinions

Quick Reply: Fuel filter opinions