C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 PM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!!

1979 Vette. 350 Crate engine, new NGK spark plugs and accel 8 mm wires. Installed new plugs and wires, trying to be careful to keep firing order correct on HEI distributor, but somehow it got mixed up. After trying multiple firing orders, we finally got the car to start up. It is hesitating badly when I try to get on it. It does not have full power. We left the NGK's gapped as they were from the factory at .050, but didn't check every plug, is this a possible cause? We also didn't have the exact crimping tool to connect the distributor side boots, but made what we thought to be good connections. Please help us troubleshoot these performance issues. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2002, 11:30 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!! (FR879vette)

Do you have the stock HEI coil?

I would put the gap at around .04-.045"

if this doesn't fix it, get the engine on TDC of compression stroke. Take the Dist. cap off, the rotor will be pointing to #1 sparkplug..... Now take every wire off of the distributor and rewire.

It sounds like you have shifted your wires... possibly correct firing order but you number one wire is not on the #1 distributor terminal. I did this once or twice.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:00 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!! (FR879vette)

Check your timing on #1 and see where you are at. Then check you timing using #6, it should be the same. You may just be 1 tooth off on the distributor gear to the cam gear. This will definitely make if "mushy" As another said, bring the engine to TDC. Feel for it to make sure you are on the compression stroke. Check the timing marks to see they are zero Remove the cap and look at the mag pickup and the pole piece. They should align one on top of another. If not you are one tooth off. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:00 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!! (MikeC)

Thanks... I did it, and all seems well!!! Fingers crossed!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!!

Quick Reply: QUICK HELP. SPARK PLUG WIRING PROBLEMS!!!