C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terror runs again

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 03:12 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Terror runs again

Well, I finally have the engine fired off, exhaust hooked up, and wheels aligned...
all went fine this morning....
driving car with no top, hood, grill, instruments, dash, console,...seats, interior, hatch cover, bumpers....etc....but it runzzzz....

steering feels fine, really quick on street....I am wondering about freeway though...need figger out about the moan from P/S pump though....
I think I changed valves for the old drag link system, and the modern serpentine pump....used the old valve from original type pump...so now that a modern rack is used...well it moans....wonder what problem is??? anyone???
AFAIK...it was a pressure thing, assist is plenty, no problem there, so even if pressure is LO....so what??? why the moan???

GENE
Old 02-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Terror runs again (mrvette)

Gene,
Is this your rack and pinion setup?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:17 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

My understanding is that is the steering slave cylinder moaning and have heard that is a common sound given the assist that it provides. The only time my cylinder moans is when I'm sitting still and try to turn the wheel lock-to-lock. If the car is under way, no moan. If it moans when the car is moving (will also moan if the car is just creeping and you are forcing a sharp turn), then you may have cause for concern.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Terror runs again (Smokehouse69)

Smoke, YES it is, working fine except for that moan...I wonder if just letting the fluid circulate and get the bubbles out will cure it, seems I remember something about that from before....I forgot to remember....oh well...

GENE :cool: :D :D :cheers:
Old 02-04-2002, 04:36 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stupid question here - have you checked to make sure the pump is topped off? I dont know the capacity of the rack (i.e. how much fluid it will contain within it) but could you have pumped most of your fluid into it? - moaning is very typical of a low fluid condition.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:42 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you bleed it and top off the fluid? Air bubbles or low fluid can cause a moan. I bleed mine by raising the front so the wheels were off the ground, starting the engine and turning it to the stops in each direction.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Terror runs again (fauxrs)

Yeh, I feel silly for posting about the moan, yes the fluid was low, and when topped off and sitting for an hour or two this early afternoon, it's gone now...
can't wait to get car onto freeway and see how it handles....
need be careful, as the steering ratio if considerably reduced from that old 4 turns L to L.....

drives nice in neighborhood though...

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Terror runs again

Quick Reply: Terror runs again