C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh bad bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 07:40 AM
randy72
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default uh oh bad bearings

Started to do the roller cam install on the 383 yesterday. Instead, found a scored cylinder wall, which lead to pulling the piston (scored bearing), which lead to pulling the crank (scored main bearings). It looks like it's off to the machine shop. We purchased the engine in a different car five years ago when it was fresh. Unfortunately, the numb nuts cranked the roller rockers down too hard and it ended up wiping out a cam lobe shortly after the purchase. The scored cylinder is the same one that had the wiped out lobe. Amazingly, after a cam swap and several oil changes it ran like a beast, without smoking or knocking. You could still see the cross hatch on the cylinders (except where it was scored of course). Luckily, my bro. in law noticed the scoring on the cylinder before we starte the cam swap. Instead of building up the short block yesterday, we ended up tearing it down.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: uh oh bad bearings (randy72)

It is never easy, is it? What are the plans for the rebuild?
Old 02-05-2002, 07:25 AM
randy72
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: uh oh bad bearings (Rhys)

pretty much what I had planned before I found the problem, except with larger pistons (I'm hoping to get away with only .040, it's already .030 over) and new bearings. I'll have it bored with a torque plate, crank cleaned up. Aside from that it's a 383 (will be larger now), ported LT1 heads, 9.8:1, hyd. roller cam, LT1 intake.

Get notified of new replies

To uh oh bad bearings

Quick Reply: uh oh bad bearings