C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:40 AM
Rexx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal?

I had the front my '78 up on stands last week and noticed that neither of the front wheels turned freely.

When I spin the tire there is a noticeable drag and the faint "shhhhh" noise of the pads dragging the rotors, but no screeches. So, I pulled the wheels off and check the pads, calipers and rotors.

Both calipers seem fine with no noticeable leaks although they could stand to be rebuilt. The pads seems fine with plenty of pad left (I forgot to measure the thickness.:rolleyes: ) The rotors were smooth with no scoring and no obvious run-out. The left front rotor was apx. 1.8 in thick and the right front was just over 2.1 in thick. Both rotors are technically out of spec.

The brake fluid was changed last year when I bought the car and the two front rubber brake hoses are new last April.

Is this dragging normal? Shouldn't the wheels spin freely? :confused: I don't expect them to spin like a bicycle tire, but they shouldn't be dragging. Talk about a lose of horsepower! :eek:

Would the fact that the front is elevated about 2.3 inches above normal be a contributing factor?

Thanks (ia)

Rexx

-save the wave
Old 02-04-2002, 01:43 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal? (Rexx)

yes this is very normal. there are springs pushing the pistons and pads against the disc at all times. however, there is some debate over if they are really required or not. but i say leave them in; drag is minimal.

minimum rotor thickness is 1.215". better get a set of calipers...
runout should be less than .005", need dial gauge. make sure bearing endplay is not excessive.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 10:00 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 08:27 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal? (Turbo-Jet)

The drage on the rotors provides instant response to you touching your brake pedal. I personnally like the way it does it.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal? (Rexx)

The drag keeps the pads hot. Which is what they need to operate properly. They will squeak if run too cold. This seems to defy logic but that is how it was explained to me a couple of years ago. I had a bad squeak in city traffic but not on the highway with semi-metallic pads. My thinking was that stop and go traffic in town was heating up the brakes and at speed they were cool: from not being used. The opposite was true; stopping at red lights left them too cool. And on the highway they were at the proper temperature. As most of my driving is in town, I changed to Muskegon Brake organic pads. Problem went away.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads Dragging Rotors. Normal?