C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I tub my 75 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:28 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I tub my 75 corvette?

Which one of these should I order? http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...260&prmenbr=76 if any of those... and once I get the tubs...how do I put them in? And what are the largest slicks I can fit inside the largest tubs I can buy? And what size rims go with those tires? Someone please help me out here...I have no idea how to firgure this all out.

Thanks ALOT,
Adam

:seeya
Old 02-04-2002, 08:42 AM
DeenHylton
Racer

Default Re: How do I tub my 75 corvette? (Yellow75)

Adam, your entering into an area that is going to be very expensive. I do most of the work on my C-3 from engine/tranny/rear-end building/modifying to fabing a six-link rear-end...but I would think twice about installing tubs or welding in a full cage...leave both to a race chassis shop. I'm assuming your not going to insall tubs just for looks? You won't need tubs unless your building over 500 HP. A 9" wide X 28" tall slick will fit your stock 75 chassis (I found 29" tall rub the trailing arm as they grow near the top end of the quarter mile). Once you get over 500 HP you'll need to sink in $1500-2,000 in the rear end for HD parts or replace the rear end for a Dana 60 or Ford 9 inch, you'll need to install a roll bar once you get in the 10.s-11.s, and you need to install a complete roll cage if you plan on runing faster than 9.99 seconds. If you want to go into more detail feel free to send me an E-mail. Deen
Old 02-04-2002, 09:11 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't normally tub a corvette. You can add flares for extra tire clearance but tubing would require a massive frame cut, relocate. The flares involve a new paint job.
You can fit 12.5 x 28 tires under the stock well with a little help to the trailing arms and lip.
I knotched my stock arms and ground half the lip away at the top in the stock wheel well and run either 12.5 x 28 x 15 Mickey thompson sportsman pro wrinkle walls or 305 TA radials.
You can easily modify your trailing arms if you have access to welder.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:36 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do I tub my 75 corvette? (norvalwilhelm)

Well, the plan is to shoehorn a blown 502 in it. So I know I'm gunna need a new trans/rearend/rollcage/tubs. I've seen other sharks with tubbed wheel wells, can you tell me more about what it involves. I'm gunna need some BIG tires to hook up all that power.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the plan is to shoehorn a blown 502 in it. So I know I'm gunna need a new trans/rearend/rollcage/tubs. I've seen other sharks with tubbed wheel wells, can you tell me more about what it involves. I'm gunna need some BIG tires to hook up all that power.

Thanks
There's some Camaro's out there running 8 and 9 second quarter miles on 10" slicks so I don't think there's a need for really big meats. One thing to remember is that the frame comes before the trailing arms, so that's the real limiter. Like mentioned before, big slicks will grow and upon launch the wrinkle could get close to your spring, trailing arms, and the frame.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:07 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How do I tub my 75 corvette? (Stingy74)

Well those tubs are steel and your Corvette is fiberglass....

Also I think if you are going to backhalf you vette you are outta our leauge and need to be talking to some real racers....

Also, if you are building a car that needs tubbed wheels and will be running sub 9 seconds you'd better be an NHRA member and be ready to build an NHRA approved rollcage. Because if it runs that fast you won't run without the frame inspection tag....

[Modified by 427V8, 11:09 AM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 02:33 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Adam,

No offense intended, but get some help... So far I've built 2 Pro Street cars, and helped on a few others. The tubs that your looking at are going to be one of the last things you'll get for the project.

First thing you'll need to do is contact some of the manufactures for the rear frame kit.. .Morrison, Alston, Competition Engineering, Chassis Engineering... How wide of a frame? 24" is about a norm, along that line 4-link, ladder bar??? Panhard Bar, Wishbone, Diagonal Link???

Now ya have a frame and "some" of the suspension, but it's in pieces, now the fun part... Basically rip the entire floor from the back of your seats and rear suspension out of the vette. See the big gaping hole... Well time to put your frame in... and there really is no instructions, every car is different. Take alot of measurements!!!!!

Now its time to get the wheels/tires... Your probably looking somewhere in the 15x14 range for a wheel... Tires - can you can get away with a 29x18.5, not sure if it will fit the wheel well though.... It doesn't??? Now expect to do bodywork to stretch the wheel opening to accomodate the tires you just purchased.

Now you have the wheel/tire combination, you can take measurements as to how wide your rear is going to be. Allow for the new brake set your going to get... Or possible find brakets to use the vette calipers and rotors. So what rear ya gonna go with? 9", 12 bolt, Dana 60???? Keep pulling out the bucks.

With the rear done, time to get the rest of the suspension and mounts, coil overs, etc should run about $400+ for everything. Take lots and lots and lots of measurements.

Now that everything is together and fits nicely - take it apart. You can now start putting in your tubs and flooring, along with a new battery box, fuel cell, etc... etc...

So after many months and about $7000+ you now have a tubbed vette... Fun wasn't it...

Seriously though... Juliet's husband Greg has a pro-street mid year that he is building, contact him and get his opinion. It is a major project, fun, but can be overwelming... Be sure it's what ya want, cause once ya start, it's kinda hard to revert back to the norm...

Keith

Get notified of new replies

To How do I tub my 75 corvette?

Quick Reply: How do I tub my 75 corvette?