C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like?

Old 02-03-2002, 10:54 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like?

Well, it is time for me to order my late Christmas Gift from the family. My car came with black vinyl when new. I sure do like leather though!! Who has the best product out there be it in leather or vinyl? I plan on ordering new black carpet (not from Romeo Eng.) and new trim covers for my seats. What are your thoughts on vendors and prices. I want the most bang for my buck (4 kids will make you cheap). All comments would be appreciated.

Dwayne
Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (BigBlockVette)

Check out corvette America and make sure to checkout the NQP or Not Quite Perfect area. Would work especially well for you because your wanting black items and thats what they have most of in that area. Even though it says NQP you can't tell the difference between that and the stuff they sell at regular price. I saved 200 on a dash from them but I did have to die it. Good luck in you quest and do shop around. Ecklers sell what is called Driver leather seats that are black also for a lower price because the laether may have some color imperfection or something. Once you start replacing stuff in the interior you always want more. Ask me how I know :D :D
Old 02-03-2002, 11:40 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (BigBlockVette)

I have done my seats twice - once in 'leather like' and this last time in real leather. The leather installation went much better. The vinyl ripped in several places during the install. The leather is much tougher and stood up to the 'pulling' much better.

It could also be that I learned from mistakes made the first time :yesnod:

Old 02-03-2002, 11:49 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I met a guy just outside of Toronto who will be doing my 72 vert in full grain black leather, for $700 Cdn. ( about 350 US) for the pair! He does a fantastic job and you can pick and choose from whatever style/leather quality that you want. Much better quality than Corv. America or the other major catalogue co's. If interested email me and I will find his # and web page address for you.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:23 AM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (gdh)

I ended up doing the leather from ecklers, no complaints here. :cool: :cheers: :seeya .........
Old 02-04-2002, 01:40 PM
SteveA
Advanced

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (SevenT1Shark)

My 79 had leather originally, but the previous owner re-covered with vinyl. Tore badly around the seams on the bottom section. Will re-cover with leather after the paint is finished. Also, If you re-cover, replace the cushions...worth the extra $$. You will get much better wear out of the covers as the foam is the support system...any gaps will cause tears as the fabric will 'pull' at the seams...especially new 'repro' vinyl.

[Modified by SteveA, 5:41 PM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (SteveA)

The last detail was having a sale on leather..may wanna check with them
Old 02-04-2002, 07:49 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (gdh)

Here's the web site.
http://www.customcoachinteriors.com/
Old 02-04-2002, 08:10 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (Alwyn678)

I have tried them all , and the leatherette looks good for a inexpensive price.

The Last detail has great prices and back up everything they sell.
http://www.tld-corvette.com
Old 02-04-2002, 08:29 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (bamavettes)

Purchased my all leather from Rik's in N.C. Price was cheaper than most at $385. They were happy to send me a sample first so I could compare the saddle color to my door panels. Just for yur own info, they along with many like the doctor, buy from Auto Accessories of USA known as Corvette America. I also purchased the seat foam from Rik's and was absolutely pleased with the quality and service. PS I was quite afraid of doing my own recovering figuring the $$$ for the leather, but all the great members with their vast wealth of information made the task easier and rewarding. Good Luck!!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:25 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like? (bl75vette)

Thanks to all for your input. Thats what I love about this forum, lots of info within a day.

Thanks,
Dwayne
Old 02-05-2002, 07:32 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i paid $350 for black all leather from corvette america,thru ecklers,thru gary gruhala enterprises. these were not seconds,the fit & finish is excellent. i installed them myself and it wasn't that hard to do. my car came with leather,but the original covers were only leather in the middle,the sides were vinyl. and they split were the vinyl and leather met,so all leather in my mid became the only option.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather or Vinyl Seat Trim Covers?? Or Leather Like?