C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:47 PM
vett79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum pulleys

Where is a good source for aluminum pulleys that aren't under-drive? Can a standard small block triple groove crank pulley and a short water pump pulley with spacer be used? Summit pulleys seem pretty reasonable if this will work. I'm looking at putting in an electric fan set-up this spring so I thought it would look great with aluminum pulleys.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Aluminum pulleys (vett79)

I have the Summit water pump and crank pulleys, and they are fine. I had to go to Zoops for a double groove alternator pulley though, and I have to admit, the Zoops pulley looks so good, it makes the Summit pulleys look bad.

AC
Old 02-04-2002, 12:58 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Aluminum pulleys (A C)

Who is Zoops?
Old 02-04-2002, 01:20 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Aluminum pulleys (flynhi)

They make lots of street rod parts. Their billet brackets are very nice too. http://www.zoops.com/default.asp

AC
Old 02-04-2002, 02:55 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Zoops have the pulleys with the 3/4" short water pump shaft hole?....I was going to buy a set of billet pulleys, however can't find the ones for short water pump 3/4" shaft. :seeya Cappy
Old 02-04-2002, 09:09 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Aluminum pulleys (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Try this place, just got their catalog and it will make you drool! Street & Performance http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ The web site isn't much to look at compared to big name places like Summit/Jegs but they have just about anything you could ask for. I'm putting the pulleys and brackets on my new 383.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:23 PM
vett79
Racer

Default Re: Aluminum pulleys (C3 Shark Tank)

Am I thinking correct in ordering the "short" water pump pulley and spacing it out for vette extra length? Crank pulleys all the same?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:09 PM
vett79
Racer

ttt
Old 02-05-2002, 10:02 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I think I used the short pump pulley, but I replaced my pump at the same time with a Stewart pump, which may not have been Corvette length. Wish I could help more. I do think all the crank pulleys are the same, except for number of grooves of course.

AC
Old 02-05-2002, 10:59 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the crank pulleys are definitely different between short and long water pump setups. the only diff in the water pump pulley is the bolt pattern.

you may find one with a 3/4" hole if you look long and hard enough, or you could drill the hole larger or buy a new waterpump.

aluminum pulley definitely look better!

[Modified by 71roadster, 9:01 PM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 10:50 AM
robzr
Burning Brakes

The corvette water pump is the same length as the short water pump, however the shaft is 3/4" instead of 5/8". You will have to drill out a pulley, as I have not heard of any that are readily available. For some odd reason, corvettes also run pulleys which are larger than other chevys. So if you only run a aluminum water pump pulley, then you'll have a slight under-drive (but only by a few percent, won't really matter). Just keep that in mind if you start comparing the pulleys to the ones on you car already. Also, despite the larger crank/water pump pulleys, the alternator pulleys are all the same size. This in effect made the corvette drive the alternator slightly faster than other cars.

I couldn't find anyone selling water pump pulleys in 3/4 shaft size, so I bought a 5/8 shaft one. I just got myself a milling machine as well, so I am going to use that to accurately drill out the hole so the pulley does not get thrown out of balance by a slight off-center hole.

Rob
Old 02-06-2002, 12:18 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Try this place, just got their catalog and it will make you drool! Street & Performance http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ The web site isn't much to look at compared to big name places like Summit/Jegs but they have just about anything you could ask for. I'm putting the pulleys and brackets on my new 383.
See the above company, they have pulleys for Corvettes that are not underdrive types, they also have billet brackets and all the shiny goodies you could want. Just give them a call.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:31 PM
vett79
Racer

Thanks for all the replys. I think I'll try the water pump pulley for short water pump and have my machine shop buddy bore it for 3/4"

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum pulleys

Quick Reply: Aluminum pulleys