C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540?

Anybody got a part number, recommendation, or manufacturer? I don't think an OEM pan will fit with the stroker crank. 2 piece seal, Merlin II block.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:31 PM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (Flareside)

I used a Hamburger 1488. Unfortunately I believe Hamburger is no longer in business. In any event I had to send it back to Hamburger to add an additional step for relay rod clearance. As far as I can tell, the Steff's 1041 pan & pump package is an aluminum version of the Hamburger 1488 pan.

Moroso has enough options that I would expect them to have a matching pan & pump that will fit both the 4.25 stroke and a Corvette chassis. The Moroso 20401 is a 6-quart low profile pan that *looks* like it will fit, and is spec'd to clear a 4.25" stroke.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 02-03-2002, 10:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (ML67)

I'd be lying if I tried to give you a part number, but I have the Moroso 6 qt kickout pan that is clearanced for the 4.25 stroke.

Works great, clears everything and I've never had anything that said Moroso that didn't work as claimed!

jim
Old 02-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (427Hotrod)

Thanks guys.

Jim, are there any clearance issues between your headers and the kicked out pan? Can you get to the oil filter?

-Joe
Old 02-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also try Milodon #31555 pan and #P18465 pick up. This is a road race 8-quart steel pan in stock for drop shipment. I just ordered one through MPG. It fits a big block with 4 1/4" crank
Old 02-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (68427)

Ouch, sticker shock! The Steff's and Milodon are both well over $300 (the aluminum Steff's sure is pretty!) The Moroso is looking pretty darn good at $160.

Thanks guys!

-Joe
Old 02-04-2002, 02:35 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Flareside,

I am running a Moroso pan on my 540. I can't remember the part number right now, but when I get home tonight I will check my receipts and see if I can get it for you. I did have a problem with some of the holes in the pan lining up properly. The machine shop had to do a minor amount of grinding to get the bolt holes to line up. Otherwise the pan works great.

Have you received the fuel injection kit from Summit yet?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (VETMANIAC)

Flareside,

I am running a Moroso pan on my 540. I can't remember the part number right now, but when I get home tonight I will check my receipts and see if I can get it for you. I did have a problem with some of the holes in the pan lining up properly. The machine shop had to do a minor amount of grinding to get the bolt holes to line up. Otherwise the pan works great.

Have you received the fuel injection kit from Summit yet?
Vetmaniac, I'd REALLY appreciate the part number. Knowing these big block sharks, I'm sure there is only one pan in the whole world that fits correctly!

Yep, the EFI got here last week. It's a really nice kit! I just wish the motor was ready for it :sad: I'm currently test fitting intake manifolds. The Holley unit is really tall, and will require an L88 hood, so I'm looking at alternatives that will fit under the stock BB hood.

What type of induction are you running on your 540?

-Joe
Old 02-04-2002, 04:21 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

I am currently running a Demon 850 V.S. with a GM High Rise Dual Plane intake. I think you should go ahead and run the L-88 Hood. Even with the L-88 hood you will still have to mill a little off of the Intake. Zwede has done this with his 454 so check out his website or send him an email. He can give all of the details on making the Holley set up fit.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:31 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

No problems getting to filter. It also clears the steering dampener fine (and I assume p/s ram).

I've had this same pan for years on my 427 previously. Good stuff!

I've never been a fan of the Milodon pans. I've seen some fit issues on their street pans. The Diamond Scraper stuff is good, but personally I like Moroso better.

Jim

Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540? (427Hotrod)

Thanks Jim. The Moroso sounds like what I need. I'm also installing the SpeedDirect rack and pinion, so I'll have to see how everything fits together.

Vetmaniac, I've seen Zwede's site, and it's been very helpful (as has Markus himself!), but I really don't want the hot-rod look of the L88 if I can avoid it. I'm a big fan of the stock bumper shark look without any add-ons. To that end, I spent a few hours in my basement workshop last night "customizing" a Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake with a file and belt sander :) I'm getting close! It fits right now with a 3" filter, Moroso top, and my L36 drop base, but I'd really like another .25" of clearance to my hood. I'll post some pics when it's done.

The 2" height of the throttle body instead of a 3.25" Q-jet really opens up our options.

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 10:21 AM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 11:02 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Joe - Just go to Merlin522's site or send him e-mail. I like lots of oil. So I have an 8 quart Morosso road racing pan. It's not an exact match because the front part of the pan is deeper. I think it was made for late 60's Cameros. So Like Norval and his blown big block. I had to space the drivers side where the power ram connects to the frame down one half inch. That's all our steering need to clear bigger pans.

It's very easy to do - Small half inch aluminum block drill four holes in it and use 4 longer bolts in place the 1 inch or so stock.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:22 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

The part number for the Moroso pan I am running is 20403. The 20403 and 20401 are identical except that the 20403 has a windage screen and trap door added. I agree with Jim regarding Moroso vs. Miloden; from what I have seen Moroso makes a superior product.

Concerning the Intake Manifold, the distance between the throttle body and the hood isn't the only clearance that you need to be concerned with. The distance between the throttle linkage on the throttle body and the top of the fuel rail is something that Markus had to take into account when he milled down the Holley manifold. Has the Edelbrock intake already been modified for Fuel Injection? If it has then you should be able to check the clearance.

I would also like to wish you luck in finding a good machine shop. I encountered the following with the machine shop that built my engine:

1) Estimated time for completion - 1 month, Actual time for completion - 11 months
2) The bill was 3 times the quoted price
3) Final assembly on top end was sloppy and I had to redo (Intake leaked coolant due to cheap gaskets, Valves were not adjusted properly).

I am not trying to scare you, I am just emphasizing the need to continue using extreme caution and patience in your search for a quality machine shop.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

The part number for the Moroso pan I am running is 20403. The 20403 and 20401 are identical except that the 20403 has a windage screen and trap door added. I agree with Jim regarding Moroso vs. Miloden; from what I have seen Moroso makes a superior product.

Concerning the Intake Manifold, the distance between the throttle body and the hood isn't the only clearance that you need to be concerned with. The distance between the throttle linkage on the throttle body and the top of the fuel rail is something that Markus had to take into account when he milled down the Holley manifold. Has the Edelbrock intake already been modified for Fuel Injection? If it has then you should be able to check the clearance.

I would also like to wish you luck in finding a good machine shop. I encountered the following with the machine shop that built my engine:

1) Estimated time for completion - 1 month, Actual time for completion - 11 months
2) The bill was 3 times the quoted price
3) Final assembly on top end was sloppy and I had to redo (Intake leaked coolant due to cheap gaskets, Valves were not adjusted properly).

I am not trying to scare you, I am just emphasizing the need to continue using extreme caution and patience in your search for a quality machine shop.
Yep, I've heard all kinds of horror stories about machine shops. Unfortunately, I am scared :lol: I'm doing all the assembly myself, I just need the shop to perform the "heavy equipment" type stuff. Mainly balancing and honing. I don't trust anybody to assemble stuff I can assemble myself. I take my time and triple check everything.

I've been working on the EFI manifold for a while now, and I think I've got everything ironed out. You can angle out the fuel rail to clear the throttle. I've also talked to a few people who have run this type of set up, and there are no problems. Maybe it's not ideal in theory, but it works just fine in real life. Doug, the EFI tech from Holley and moderator of the EFI board at http://www.chevytalk.com, says it will work fine. The other EFI guys over there also agree. Maybe I'll take a small HP hit? I don't mind going from 700 to 690 :lol:

Here's one for you (all-aluminum big block!):

Old 02-05-2002, 02:48 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Have you decided on who will modify the manifold for EFI (weld in bungs for the injectors)? Since you are going to use an Edelbrock manifold, what are your plans for the Holley manifold that you received with the kit?
Old 02-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

I haven't decided on a conversion shop yet, but I have talked to a few. I have to iron out my manifold/air cleaner combo before I can talk to them again. I'm hoping to trade-in the Holley manifold for conversion labor.

-Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540?

Quick Reply: Oil pan and pickup for a 4.25" stroke 540?