C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Sensor Ohm Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Temp Sensor Ohm Information

I'm preparing to to try and find a replacement for my temperature sensor for my 69 SB, that won't fit in my new Vortec heads. I took the old sensor and suspended it in boiling water and obtained a reading of 2650 Ohms, then I placed in a cup of crushed ice and water (my thermometer said it was 0* C.) the reading was 1150 Ohms.
Has anyone found a new smaller temp sensor that fits anywhere close to this range?
I sure wish that there was someplace that we could get a cross reference for these things!
Old 02-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Temp Sensor Ohm Information (Smokehouse69)

Do a search on http://www.ncrs.org archives. There is a whole lot of info about calibrating the gauge and various senders.
BTW your heat riser is on the way :cheers:

[Modified by silvervetteman, 6:43 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 10:38 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I searched the entire temp sensor catalog at my favorite partshouse. nothing was even close! :mad
I ended up putting the temp sensor in the water neck hole...
The water temp is a little hotter there ( 10 degrees ?) since it's after the heads rather than before it, but it works!
Old 02-03-2002, 11:44 PM
74ZZ430
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if my 74 uses the same ohm rating on the temp sender as your 69, but I had the same problem with the fast burn Vortec heads I used. I was never able to find the smaller sending unit with the correct ohm rating. I ended up using a sender with a lower ohm rating and added a in line ceramic resistor that bought my resistance back in line , my gauge is very close now. The ohm ratings the spec books go by are much lower than what you are getting(not sure at what temp. they are taken) if I remember correctly my stock 74 unit was between 78 and 82 ohms and I used a 42 ohm sending unit and added two 20 ohm resistors. I just spliced them into the wire coming from the sending unit and used black wire loom tape to cover them, pretty hard to spot unless your looking for them. I don,t recall the part# of the sender I used but I kept the box, which I can dig out if you need it.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Temp Sensor Ohm Information (74ZZ430)

Smokehouse,
I'm using an 82 vette sensor and it's pretty darn close. I install a safety back up under the hood and it seems to run inline with it. I have shearched high and low, no one makes a 1/2" sensor with the earlier ohm range.
Budman
Old 02-04-2002, 09:47 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

If the heads are off, just drill out that 3/8 NPT hole with a 23/32" drill and tap with a 1/2-14 NPT. That way hunting for a "close" replacement sensor never comes up again. I did it on my Torquer's driver's side head and left the 3/8 NPT on the passenger side for the electric fan sensor.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Temp Sensor Ohm Information (Budman78)

Thanks for the information guys, I think I'll try several of your suggestions. I wish I had tried to get the heads drilled and tapped before I bolted them on, but worrying about the temp sensor was an afterthought. I'll get a sensor from an 82 'vette, and install a seperate mechanical gauge under the hood. Then I'll put my old sensor up in the water-pump neck. That way I can try switching from the two locations, while it is running.

Get notified of new replies

To Temp Sensor Ohm Information

Quick Reply: Temp Sensor Ohm Information