C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Radiator for Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 06:40 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Radiator for Automatic

While I'm waiting for the cam to arrive and have the old radiator out I was considering aluminum replacement. Does anybody know of a universal model that is available with the auto trans line hookups? The "Be Cool" custom fit for an automatic is a little stiff for my budget at $550. If nothing available could I run a universal radiator with a separate transmission cooler?
Old 02-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Aluminum Radiator for Automatic (CORKYVET)

Check with Tom DeWitt, he sells aluminum radiators for Corvettes, and he is a supporting vendor of the Forum.
http://www.dewitts.com
Old 02-03-2002, 08:52 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:seeya I'm running a "Be Cool" www.becool.com :D :cool:
Old 02-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Situatuation gets pricy with the auto trans cooler in the radiator... I just got through installing a Griffin NASCAR universial fit radiator in the '76... Fairly difficult install with relocating the upper mounts and plenty of cutting on the hoses to make them fit as well... to complicate matters I already had Flexilite fans which required MAJOR butchering to make them fit tight. I paid $375 for the universial fit from Jegs... My take, don't waste your time... buy the direct replacement. And while your in there... you may find that you need to take the radiator mount out and weld it back together where the old heavy radiator cracked it over the years.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:00 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO, what works fine is a Camaro Z28 a/c rad. from the late 80's....right from yourINDEPENDANT AC Delco dealer....less than 200 bucks....hoses can be made easy by using 1.5 inch copper drain line from Home Depot, and a couple of hose clamps.....just cut and twist into shape needed...

GENE
Old 02-04-2002, 01:19 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in an aluminum Griffin last summer which was a direct fit with trans cooler. Was close to $500 and I believe it was worth every penny. Easy installation, no modifications what so ever. I could of paid less but since I am going to keep this car for a while I feel it was a good choice. Car runs right at the thermostat (180F) in the Houston summer heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Radiator for Automatic

Quick Reply: Aluminum Radiator for Automatic