C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 11:00 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing Arm help!

I was looking under my 82 Corvette the other day checking my drive shaft. I looked over at the Trailing arm and it has a BIG hole rusted in the bottom (can I weld a plate around it ?) or replace it? And how hard is it to take off? What all do I need to do? :confused:
Old 02-03-2002, 11:09 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Trailing Arm help! (bandy123)

you could weld a plate over the hole but that would most likely be a temporary fix - if its rusted through there you can be assured that the rest of the arm has similar damage that cannot be seen inside.

There are two main problems in removing the trailing arm - and they are related to rust as well.

1)The Shock mount, which retains the outer end of the strut rod - often fuses itself to the bushing in the strut rod - or the bearing retainer itself.

2) the trailing arm pivot bolt, located in the frame often is so impossibly frozen that it has to be severed with a saw to get the trailing arm out.

Once those two items are overcome it really is not that tough - all you do is disconnect the spring from the arm, remove the caliper, remove the brake line from the bracket on the t-arm. Disconnect the shock and strut rod, disconnect the parking brake cable and halfshaft. (not in that order) and youve done it.

Check your bearings while youre back there.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:12 AM
bandy123
Instructor

Default Re: Trailing Arm help! (fauxrs)

Thank i will try it. :cheers:
Old 02-03-2002, 02:16 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Bandy123,

Search the archive for trailing arms, ther are a ton of excellent posts on this subject. Its been called the "hardest job" to do on a vette by some people, so its not that easy.
Its also very expensive to get new ones & set up bearings. Read up on it...
Old 02-03-2002, 02:26 PM
jbs75
Instructor

Be careful here, there is supposed to be a large round hole under the trailing arm pivot point to allow the the crud and water to get out, this can get clogged over time, and cause more trouble(rust out).

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm help!

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm help!