C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan removal Question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 12:45 AM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan removal Question..

I am going to remove my stock fan and radiator shroud tomorrow. Question, do I have to remove the pully from the water pump to remove the fan, or does the fan just come off and somehow the bolts holding it on come out from behind the pully. Also will this mess up the balance of my engine? Thanks in advance-Travis
Old 02-03-2002, 02:20 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fan removal Question.. (TJKirby82CE)

Same bolts hold pulley and fan clutch onto water pump. Shouldn't mess with your balance at all, but I guess you could mark the position everything comes off in so you could put it back the same.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:51 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with the Fan off, on some cars, it's still a pain to get the schroud off and on. What I did with mine was loosen the 4 radiator support bolts from inside the front fenderwells (2 on each side) then remove the top two bolts (but not the bottom two) and then you can pull the whole radiator and support forward an inch or two at the top allowing more room.

You may not have to do this, but if you run into a problem, consider it a fairly easy option. I know others who hvae done the same thing. Gives more room to work.

Old 02-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

This is a pic if it comes through of when I did my '80 at 91,000mi-had to replace core support, so while I was in there with that mileage I put in new fan clutch, waterpump, had AIR pump and alternator rebuilt too. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Fan removal Question..

Quick Reply: Fan removal Question..