C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear frame mounts on a 79???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 10:18 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear frame mounts on a 79???

I need some advise..I was looking at the rear frame mount brackets on my 79.....They are strong but rusty..But I can only imagine what it might looks like in between the rubber bushing.....Was thinking about either changing them or fixing them....Does anyone sell the rear frame bracket that welds to the frame(The bracket that comes off the frame where the body mount attaches)..

My Body man tells me I'm crazy it is fine and to leave it alone....I might do just that but just want to check to see if it is available...Also anyone have any idea how hard to replace with the body on..........Thank you
Old 02-03-2002, 01:41 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rear frame mounts on a 79??? (BADCAIMAN)

I have replaced one on a '75 before and I think you will find that it is just the top that is bad (the part betwen the bushing). The sides (gussets) should be OK. I just cut and ground out the top plate and welded a 1/8" plate in place.You can do this with the body on the car. Make sure everything is cleaned up good so the welding goes smooth.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:17 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Default Re: Rear frame mounts on a 79??? (BADCAIMAN)

All the mounts look fine except for the rear ones (left and right)...The left one is the worst To view they look great but if I wedge a screw driver in between the bushings I see alot of rust....My body man belives there is nothing to worry about and should leave it alone for now...There is plenty left and it feels secure just wonder how much stress is on that particular mount.....Is this something I can put off for a couple of yrs (the other 6 mounts are fine)....Or should I address this quick...Any thoughts..Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Rear frame mounts on a 79???

Quick Reply: Rear frame mounts on a 79???