C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering & suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering & suspension

Hi All, ;)
Got the bushings in my 79 this week......Steering is a lot better BUT...there is still (I think) to much play in the steering wheel.
My car doesn't wobble all over the road anymore. Takes the curves like it's suppose to,,,,,,great on the straight aways. :yesnod:
Is the loose play in the steering wheel in the steering gear box? :confused:
TeŽesa :chevy :seeya
Old 02-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: steering & suspension (Teresa)

Very could be. You might want to check the play in all of the tie-rod joints and other steering components. Greenwood's VIP article gives a good description on how to adjust your steering box yourself, so you won't have to pay big bucks and hope a mechanic gets it right :).

You can download the VIP article at: http://www.corvettefaq.com/susp.asp

:seeya
Old 02-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Hi Teresa,

It might be there, it might also be in the rag joint (coupler) or tie rod ends. You'll need to look carefully when wiggling the steering wheel. There's some FAQ's at http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/ and I suspect there's some info in there about adjusting or repairing both the box and the rag joint. How's your idler arm?

good luck,
Old 02-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Blue80
4th Gear

Easiest way to find out is make a slight adjustment...

There is a nut with a center screw on top of the steering box.....note the position of the slot on the center screw.

Loosen the outer nut and give the center screw a quarter turn clockwise and retighten the outer nut......this sounds easier than it is because the screw tends to turn with the outer nut which can cause you to over adjust.

Take it for a drive and see if it helps....beware!!!!....you can over tighten, which you will find out real quick if after you turn a corner, the steering wheel does not return to center on its own.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: steering & suspension (Blue80)

You MUST make this adjustment with the steering gear right on center. You find exact center by turning the steering lock to lock and counting the total number of steering wheel revolutions. Then divide by 2. Now start at one full lock and return by exactly that divided by 2 number. Your gear is now on center. Hopefully, your steering wheel center spoke is right at the 6 o'clock position and your car tracks straight down the street.

With the gear right on center, you can now adjust the on-center gear mesh by adjusting the screw in the center of your side cover as mentioned in a previous post.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Default Re: steering & suspension (Jim Shea)

This sounds very tricky.....Guess I better leave it to the Pros....right!!!!
Thanks for the info...TeŽesa :crazy: :seeya
Old 02-05-2002, 06:57 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Replace rag joint and idler arm.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:38 AM
couldbefun
Instructor

Hey teresa i have a question for ya. i am looking a buying a 79 right now. however after taking it for a test drive, i noticed it wobbled horribly around 30 miles an hour and slighty at every other speed. also it pulled hard to the left. did you experience these same symptoms? i pretty much had to tell the guy i couldnt afford to spend 12k on a car that wobbled like that not knowing what caused it, although i suspected the tires because they were old and yellowed and the car seemed to be well taken care of
. if this is what happened to you, can you post a reply saying the part #, (or name) and what it cost you and where it goes? thanks a bunch
Old 02-06-2002, 08:13 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: steering & suspension (couldbefun)

Check dragging brake, idler arm and rag joint. Replace tires with BFG T/As. 245/60/15 all around would be a good value.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:27 AM
72Warbonnet
Intermediate

Default Re: steering & suspension (Jim Shea)

I just want to publicly thank Jim Shea for the volumes of GREAT, no-kidding info he has published on the topic of steering systems. I am beginning a steering box rebuild here in Germany, and would be feeling my way in the dark without his efforts.

THANKS, JIM!!! :cheers:
Old 02-15-2002, 08:38 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: steering & suspension (72Warbonnet)

Yup, Jim Shea was a great source of information and design help in my system,....
he made a few valid points in discussions that finally tossed my rack choice toward that CTO rack I finally used.....my initial rack choice was very poor choice...it was an End Take Off rack....much too wide...way too much bump steer....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To steering & suspension

Quick Reply: steering & suspension