C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 10:09 AM
curly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings?

Rear bearings finally sound bad enough to keep my baby parked.
What's the thought on replacing the entire assembly vs. just bearing replacement?
The entire butt. comes with new parking brake and runs $500 ea. Looks like a job I can do myself.
Replacing just bearings costs $600-700 to have done. I don't have tools or expertise for that.
Is it worth the extra, and have I missed anything?

[Modified by curly, 9:11 AM 2/2/2002]

[Modified by curly, 9:13 AM 2/2/2002]

[Modified by curly, 9:13 AM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 10:15 AM
curly
Instructor

Default Re: Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings? (curly)

Tried to modify post to ENTIRE ASSEMBLY.
Wouldn't take 3 times
Old 02-02-2002, 10:42 AM
charlie78
Instructor

Default Re: Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings? (curly)

I just went through that myself. New bearings on both trailing arms plus new bushings. It killed a 700 dollar bill, and I took the arms out myself and toted them to the Corvette repair shop. Still, it was less expensive than replacement assemblies. I think the savings were worth it. :cool:
Old 02-02-2002, 12:18 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

If your trailing arms and bushings are OK, then you can seperate the bearing support/carrier from the T-arms and send them to Bair's in Linesville,Pa-when you get them back they look NOS and brand new. They completely refurbish your bearing carrier with new backing plate/new bearings installed and related pieces for $150 a side. Had them do the bearings/carriers on both my '75 and '80, and that was two years ago. Been perfect ever since!!!
Old 02-02-2002, 12:40 PM
curly
Instructor

Default Re: Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings? (Paul Borowski)

Paul,
Thanks for the scoup on Bair's. Found their internet site right of the bat.
Is there much involved in seperating the carrier from the T-arms?
I have a bad repair manual when it comes to detail.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:41 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

I did the Bairs wheel bearing assemblies on mine several years ago, and I agree on the quality. You'll have to disconnect the half shafts and remove the spindle hub, drill out the rotor rivets(unless done already), unbolt the shocks, pound out the shock mounts, remove the parking brake assemblies, and 4 nuts that hold the assembly to the traling arm. The biggest pain is putting the parking brake assemblies back together.

Good luck,
Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings?

Quick Reply: Need rear bearings and money, Vette parked. New assembly or just bearings?