C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 03:01 PM
osssmosis
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

I purchased a remote transmission filter kit to further keep the fluid in my tranny clean. The tranny has just been rebuilt with high performance parts. It is a 700R4 Transmission. I have filled the tranny with Mobil 1 Synthetic Trans fluid. I have gotten mixed reviews about adding a remote transmission filter kit. Basically the kit consists of the spin on adapter that you can mount anywhere, a Ph8 filter, and some transmission hose. Basically when the fluid leaves the radiator after being cooled it would go through this filter, then back into the transmission. Some people told me that these remote filters can reduce the fluid pressure and could potentially cause transmission damage. Is this true??? what do you guys recommend???

Old 02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA??? (osssmosis)

I bought one and a trans. cooler as well but have not installed either so far.
This is a summer project. I will be watching this post. Where do you think you would mount the filter? The only places I can find room are on the frame rail on the drivers side opposite the oil filter or up front in the nose section mounted to the frame some how.

Greg :seeya
Old 02-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It can't be a bad deal, anything that helps keep the fluid clean seems like it has to help. If you are going to put one in, put a cooler in also, cooler is the key to long transmission life.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:11 AM
eeeticket
Advanced

Default Re: Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA??? (Smokehouse69)

I've had one on my truck for two years. I havent noticed any ill effects. I tow a small trailer. I spin on a new filter every other oil change.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:33 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA??? (eeeticket)

The only thing I can imagine being bad about it would be, anytime things are more complex, the more there is to break and fail. Remember the old addage K.I.S.S. Run the hoses and lines carefully so as not to have them rubbing on anything causing chafing and rupturing hoses and lines. In critical areas, if you have room, shroud the hoses in more hose split lengthwise and secure with zip ties. Use only high pressure tranny line hose, not fuel hose.
Benifits are including added filteration and cooler temps due to the extra fluid needed to fill the system. On my Vette I am using a magnetic inline filter in my return cooler line. I got it from BTO with my 200R4 tranny package for $22. I use a dual remote filter mount with PH8A's on my Chevy 4x4 with 700R4.

[Modified by Jvette73, 1:36 PM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 06:49 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

I highly recommend using a remote filter, but not a ph8 filter! Use Wicks, Motorcraft, or Puralator. I believe AC delco still builds a reasonably stout filter to filter body inner seal too. Also, use steal or braided SS lines only.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:38 AM
osssmosis
Pro

I will be installing it tomorrow morning. I have everything I need to get a sucessful installation. Wish me luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

Quick Reply: Remote Transmission filter: GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???