C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of grease?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default What kind of grease?

I am reassembling my distributor after a complete rebuild, blasted the exterior, replaced both bushings, replaced main shaft and going to install the Lar's advance kit. I need to know what type of grease is used in the tach drive gear and in the circular area under the plastic seal and felt washer that the points cam rides on?
When I disassembled the thing the grease that was under the cam was like tar in consistency and it took two days of soaking in mineral spirits to remove it. Is there a better synthetic grease that won't revert to tar in another 30 years?
Thanks
Steve
Smokehouse69
Old 02-01-2002, 10:53 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What kind of grease? (Smokehouse69)

I like using Mobil1 Synthetic for various applications because of it's resistance to moisture and wide temprature range. For certain "lower" suspension applications, I like using a high quality snowmobile grease because of it's extremely low temp range (I think -40 degrees) and resistance to salt and water. Dielectric grease for all electrical connections that are exposed to the elements. (running lights, headlights, starter connections, body ground, etc)
Hope this helps Ya! :cheers: :cheers:
P.S. Here's a tip.. smear Dielectric grease on the lightbulb base inside your coachlights outside.. makes em come right out when changing!! :)

[Modified by Silvr77, 2:52 PM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 01:18 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: What kind of grease? (Smokehouse69)

I used the mobil 1 Red grease when I rebuild the distirbutor last summer.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of grease?

Quick Reply: What kind of grease?