C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need sway bars!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 09:17 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need sway bars!

So who's should I get?
I want to be able to do autocross without embarassing myself.

I'd really like an adjustable rear bar.

But should I just get Vette Brakes bigest bars?
Old 02-01-2002, 09:23 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need sway bars! (427V8)

I have an extra thick sway bar on front($n/a)...and am going the 6 link in the rear ($330)....(no rear sway bar)
Old 02-01-2002, 09:45 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Keith,
If you don`t currently have a rear bar i think you will want a larger front bar to "compliment" the new rear bar.I like the "factory" bars and the best part they WERE designed for a Corvette and unlike many aftermarket bars THEY FIT! I also would advise against the "largest" rear bar available, instead try something in the 7/16-9/16 size with a 1-1/8 front bar AND if you or anyone else is interested i have a few "factory" bars for sale. ..redvetracr
Old 02-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Noel Carboni
Pro

VB&P bars and mounting hardware are good stuff.

FYI, I run a factory Gymkhana 1-1/8" bar in front, with poly mounts and poly end links, and a VB&P 3/4" bar in back with poly blocks and adjustable end links with Delrin grommets. I have them cranked almost tight. Springs are Gymkhana 550 lb coils in front, VB&P single mount 400 lb monospring in back. Poly everywhere rubber was.

The car drifts pretty neutrally and handles well, recovering without fanfare from violent maneuvers. Some years ago I took a 1st place for the season autocrossing in B street prepared. And that was back when my car was slow. :D

-Noel

[Modified by Noel Carboni, 2:00 PM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 10:21 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found by experimenting that the best combo for street use with a small block is 1 1/8" front and 5/8" rear.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:30 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Need sway bars! (flynhi)

I have 1 1/8" front and originally had 3/4" rear. I wasn't pleased so replaced rear with 5/8" and still wasn't pleased. Recently removed rear bar and now its just how I like it. Very predictable and fun.
good luck
-terry
Old 02-01-2002, 11:30 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need sway bars! (redvetracr)

So you use Factory bars for racing?
I've done a few autocross events now and the car sways so bad it's embarassing! :bb
Old 02-01-2002, 11:49 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Keith,
I like to "listen" as those who have "been there" speak, such as Dick Guldstrand and while i think his stuff is overpriced his knowledge is free! I also think the "factory" had some VERY GOOD stuff available, much of it didn`t get put on too many cars BUT it was available "over the counter" it was designed by the engineers at GM for racing and just "trickled down" to us common folk. After reading some of the books about Chevrolet and racing i have a new respect for those inside GM who worked very hard to make the name "Chevrolet" what it has become in the racing world. Anyone can "market" a racing part but it took an "engineer" to design and a racer to develop most of what others build and sell today. ..redvetracr

PS:To answer your last question .YES

[Modified by redvetracr, 9:51 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The factory did do a good job on our cars. See my website 77Facts for the handling performance of last version of FE-7 for 68-77. :cool:
Old 02-01-2002, 12:13 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

I went with the VB largest front and rear. Excellent fit, finish, and installation was a breeze. Huge difference in body roll and corner control. Tires immediatly became the weak link. Thats why I ended up going with the 16 rims and Z rated tires from Vintage Wheel Works. Always seems like one thing leads to another. I am sure you already know but if you are considering larger rear tires you can go with offset trailing arms. In that case VB recommends not using a rear swaybar. With your engine you are gonna tear some people up in autocross if you can get that puppy to handle. Hope this helps.

:cheers:
Old 02-01-2002, 01:16 PM
HunterRose
Instructor

Default Re: Need sway bars! (ScubaJKD)

I agree with ScubaJKD.

I also went with the largest sway bars from Vette Brakes. 1 1/4 front, 7/8 rear. Immediately I noticed the same thing, tires are the next weak link.

However, there are some things to consider. First, if you are running stock springs and shocks, going large is fine. As soon as you start to stiffen up the suspension, then you probably won't want the largest sway bars! The last thing you want to do is induce extra frame/chassis flex (at least until you stiffen it up!).

It all just depends on your application, really, and how willing you are to re-learn how to drive the car after you install the sway bars! Going large will definately change the driving characteristics and requires a bit more skill. If you plan to autocross a lot, becoming a better driver is a good thing!

It's great when legendary tuners can give out their wisdom for free, but I think everyone needs to try things for themselves and see if it works or not. I had the same negativity when I asked here about sway bars and against suggestions, went with what I felt was the right thing. I'm happy with my choice. To each his own.

Good luck with your decision!

Tony
Old 02-01-2002, 01:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Default Re: Need sway bars! (HunterRose)

Tony/HunterRose,
My statement had more to do with listening to exactly who is speaking and where their expertice comes from. If we all tried everything the Corvette suspension vendors told us to make our cars faster (handle better) we would all be broke! If they don`t sell you anything THEY don`t make any money!These guys don`t "invent" very much, as it`s easier to let someone else do the R&D, they simply market it and make profit. Especially when their parts make you come back to the "well" and take another drink!
.....redvetracr
Old 02-01-2002, 02:49 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Terry. I found the 7/8 rear bar to be too big, despite Vettebrakes insistance that my car is now perfectly balanced. I am going to test Terry's 5/8 bar. A side note..my car is convertible and more flexible than Terry's coupe so if I may find that even 5/8 is too large. It will be interesting to see how things are when I finally get a roll bar built and installed.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:57 PM
HunterRose
Instructor

Sorry, Redvetracr, I guess I only skimmed your post instead of thoroughly reading it. I wholly agree with you that it is a wise thing to consider the source of information. I definately think it is wise to research out every possible solution _before_ purchasing anything. Of course, asking questions on the forum is a great way to so since there's likely to be at least one person who's tried what you are thinking on doing!

Tony
Old 02-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

redvetracr,
I just sent you an email about your "Factory" sway bars, I want to replace the HORRIBLE Rancho solid link bars I have on my car now. Let me know what you want for a set.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:32 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i've been autocrossing my '81 for several years now and the list of things i still want to do is much shorter than what has been done but i only speak for my driving style and my '81. personally, i would recommend the 5/8" in the rear but that is just what works best for my car.
i would recommend going with an addco bar (or bars) from someplace like summit or jegs. the reason is when my addco rear bar arrived, it came with a set of poly bushings, rubber bushings, a solid 'spacer' and a spring spacer. the logic being that a soft initial setting going to progressively firmer stiffness can be had by using the more plyable rubber bushins and the spring in between. to the opposite extreme, you can go with the poly bushings and the solid spacer for immediate stiffness. you can try both and 'fine tune' the stiffness to your taste. with my street tires i run the spring and poly bushings and switch to the solid spacer when i mount my slicks. just my .02
Old 02-02-2002, 03:04 AM
dawebersZ06
Cruising

I have the vettebrakes biggest bars they do make a big difference. Good shocks are a must. This spring I plan to upgrade to the vettebrakes traverse spring in the front!!

Get notified of new replies

To Need sway bars!

Old 02-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I would not recommend the largest sway bars from Vette Brakes (1&1/4" frt and 7/8" rear) unless you are going to only drive your car on VERY smooth surfaces. I had them on my 76 vette that has a very modified suspension (frt & rr monoleaf springs, tubular a-arms, bilstein shocks, "smart" camber struts, 17 x 8" alum whls w/ 255/50 Nitto 450's, and alum. calipers). These bars did make my car corner very flat, but when driving on the streets with curves that have minor bumbs and changes in road surface, these bars made the rear end unpredictable. They also hurt the ride quality because they are SO stiff, and they made the frame flex causing the T-Tops to squeek a lot (minor I know - but still annoying). I have now removed both of the bars and replaced the front with a 1" ADDCO sway bar. This spring I see if I need to add a rear sway bar - maybe their 5/8" for the adjustability issue mentioned in one of the earlier post and low cost compared to a factory style 7/16" bar.

You can see my complete list of mods at my home page: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/greatwhite/

:cheers:
Old 02-02-2002, 02:07 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need sway bars! (Jason Staley)

You know sometimes I think I'm going to turn this car into some kind of incredible machine with awesome capabilities, that will make the C5 owners jealous.

Then I think :rolleyes: Without a full rollcage and a complete suspension redesign it will never happen.

And there is no way I'm cutting up my '69 for a full roll cage!

So I think I'm just going to get good bars, probably 1 1/8" front, 3/4"rear and enjoy life...
Old 02-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Racer-X
Pro

I currently have stock 7/8 in front and none in rear but I have a 9 leaf spring. What should I DO?
Can I get a 1 1/8 for the front ond none for the back or dose the back need one also?????
Please help???? :confused:

Quick Reply: Need sway bars!