C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:04 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat?

Only C2?
Or are there other components for finishing up?
What are your experiences?
My friend Frank the bigblocker is going to make a trip to the USA and maybe heŽll bring me some "gifts" from over there :D (Thanks, Frank :cheers:)
Zaino offers many products, and I wonder if c2 is the only component I need to make my fresh paint job look awesome, stunning, show car alike :crazy:

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 6:05 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 08:52 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat? (MARKUS_P)

Hi Marcus
This should probably go in the car care section but I'll give it a shot here. If I had a freshly painted car my first step would be to clay bar it. You can use pretty much any of the clay bars available. This will smooth the finish and remove any contaminents from the paint job. After claybarring wash the car thoroughly. At this point I would put on a coat of Z1 locker (don't remove it) followed by a coat of Z5. This will fill any haze that is present. After removing the Z5 I would take a look at the finish and determine if another coat of Z5 is called for. If the finish still has slight haze marks or unevenness to it I would go with another coat of Z5 after waiting 24 hours. I would then top it off with two coats of Z2 for that crystal clear deep shine. Remember to only use 100% cotton towels to apply and remove the product or you're just going to add scratches. Zaino recommends Cannon Fieldcrest towels which you can order from the internet on http://www.cannonoutlet.com . they really do make a difference. Once you've reached this point it's only a matter of maintaining the finish. For more tips go to the Zaino site. Hope this helps.

[Modified by vettfixr, 7:54 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 09:17 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat? (vettfixr)

Thanks for the info, vettefixr.
What is a clay bar?
Sorry for the ignorance, maybe I just donŽt know the english term...
Would be helpful if you could explain this a bit more....
Was at Zainos website already, of course they claim to use all their products, beginning from a cleaning product to the plolishing products. :jester
Many will say that they would never wax a freshly painted car, because the clearcoat has to breath and so on....
DonŽt kow much about this, but there are so many people out their who swear on Zaino, so it must be a good product.:yesnod:
Old 02-01-2002, 11:32 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat? (MARKUS_P)

The claybar is just what it sounds like, a bar of clay. You rub it over the finish, first lubricating it with the spray supplied with the bar. The bar lifts any contaminants off the surface and smooths the surface of the paint. Many claybars are available including Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars, etc. but I think they all pretty much do the same thing. Since your car has fresh paint you shouldn't have to go through the compounding and haze removal process that most users have to do to get it prepped but the claybar should be used if only to pick up residue from the surface. If you want a better description of what it takes to bring paint to this stage go to my website in my signature and look at Restoring Old Paint. In there you will see a lot of reference to Meguiars and 3M products. They are fine products and will give you excellent results. Since those pages were written I've since switched to using Zaino for polishing. The advantages that I've found have been in depth of shine, longevity and resistance to dust (all very important with a black car). I found that when using Meguiars products I would have to wax every 2 or 3 weeks and before every show to keep the shine up. With Zaino I find that I can go months and still not notice any depreciation in the shine. Zaino also tracks much less dust than other products I've used. A quick pass with a California Car Duster followed by a wipedown with Z7 (I think that's the number for the shine enhancer) and the car looks freshly waxed. Also, Zaino contains no abrasives which means you won't be putting those fine haze marks on your paint every time you apply it. I'm not a Zaino fanatic, just a very pleased user.

Get notified of new replies

To .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat?

Quick Reply: .....Zaino: What would you use on a new paintjob with clearcoat?