C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cc'd my cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 05:26 AM
Imabadman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cc'd my cylinder heads, could this be correct?

I polished out the combustion chambers on my SR Torquer heads and then measured the chamber volume. The combustion chambers were advertised at 67cc. Measuring the chambers after I polished them, I had removed around 3.5 cc's!!!!!! Could I have possibly removed that much material? I removed barely enough material to lose the rough casting surface(or so I thought) which was pretty smooth to begin with. Is it possible that the advertised chamber volume could be off? I went ahead and assembled the engine, adjusting the gasket thickness for proper quench/compression but damn!
What do you guys think?

I measured the chamber volume by placing a piece of plexiglass over the chamber and injecting some alcohol in with a big horse needle(accurate to the tenth of a cc).

[Modified by Imabadman, 5:18 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 06:23 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cc'd my cylinder heads, could this be correct? (Imabadman)

I'm not surprised at all. Be happy that you didn't measure a set of GM heads. Often, the GM heads are 86cc's rather than 76.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Imabadman
Heel & Toe

Default Re: cc'd my cylinder heads, could this be correct? (1979toy)

Wow, that really puts things into perspective. How much is the usual variation between chambers? Can compression differences cause engine damage?
Old 02-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: cc'd my cylinder heads, could this be correct? (Imabadman)

My Vortecs were 61.2 to 62.5 cc's before I polished and unshrouded the exhaust valves. Checked out to 65-66 afterwards. Removed more than I thought! But I will still end up about 10 to 1 according to the calculations, with a .042 squelch area.

Get notified of new replies

To cc'd my cylinder heads

Quick Reply: cc'd my cylinder heads