C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiland Stealth Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:36 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weiland Stealth Intake

Will a Weiland Stealth Intake fit under a stock '69 small block hood. Does anyone have any experiece with this intake.

Old 01-31-2002, 10:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (Jester69Stingray)

I'm not sure on the fit but I do have one on my 70 Z28. It replaced a Torker2 and definitely has more throttle response off the bottom through mid-range. It may give up a bit on the topend but probably not much. It also helped give me a consistant idle w/ a pretty big solid lifter cam. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:53 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (Les)

Thats what i was looking for this will be replacing an original Torker so im guessing simmilar results.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:41 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original torker is a pretty good manifold.So much that by popular demand Edelbrock is making it again.
Les is correct a dual plane with give better throttle response in most applications but first what cam,carb and compression do you have? What problems are you experiencing?Might need something other than a manifold.

The RPM will not fit with any air cleaner drop base or not and maintain sufficient carb to air cleaner top clearance for the carb to meter properly with your hood.You might get it under there and close the hood but overall carb performance will be less than optimum.Even with a KN top.IMO
The Stealth might .Never been there

The 74 Vette hood will give more clearance thn a 69-72 but here is a post I made from a couple years ago concernig manifold heights ect

My stock L-48 intake manifold measures 3" front height, 4.5" rear height. With a 3/4" spacer between the carb and the manifold it measures 3-3/4" front, 5-1/4" rear. With my large 18-1/2" diameter cowl induction type air cleaner assembly, the hood will close but it is too tight. It's hard on the air base seal and if a motor mount went out it wouldn't be good. I know that doesn't pertain to your '71 type hood, but it does establish some base measurements. If I had a after-market intake manifold on it that measured 3-3/4" front and 5-1/4", approximately, rear I would still have to use a drop base air filter assembly, in my opinion.

There are two ways to establish intake manifold height. One is to lay a straight edge on top of the carb pad and measure from the bottom of the straight edge to where the engine manifold meets the engine block. That gives you your front and rear heights. The other way is to take those established front and rear heights, add the two heights together, divide by two, and that gives you the overall height. In my opinion, overall height can be misleading, as it seems on Corvette hoods the clearance problem seems to be more in the front than the rear.

Here are some intake manifolds -- something to compare it with.

Holley part #300-36, idle to 7200, is a 180 degree manifold. Sorry no heights on this one but I believe it be similar to the LT1 manifold.

Holley part #300-48, 180 degree, 3.68 front, 5.02 rear, idle to 6000.

Weiand part #8004 without egr, action plus 180 degree, 3.50, 4.00, idle to 6000. Spreadbore

Weiand part #8000 with egr, action plus 180 degree is 3.75 front, 4.63 rear. Spreadbore

Weiand Stealth, 4.18 front, 4.50 rear. Squarebore

Weiand Team G, part #7525, with egr, open plenum, 3.50, 4.50, 2000 to 6500. Squarebore
Weiand advertises this in their catalog to fit Corvette 68-82.

Weiand Team G Power Ram, part #7530, open plenum, 2800 to 7200. Squarebore, 3.63 front, 4.56 rear.

Weiand part #7546, E-Celerator 1500 to 6000, open plenum, 4.36 front, 5.31 rear. Squarebore

Edelbrock Performer, idle to 5500, part #2101 non egr, 3.50, 4.60, 180 degree. Spreadbore

Edelbrock RPM and RPM Air Gap (Squarebore) and RPM Quadrajet (Spreadbore) all measure 4.20, 5.25.

[Modified by mountainmotor, 5:57 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (mountainmotor)

Cam is 222/222 duration at .050 and .447/.447 gross lift 114deg lobe separation, Holley 750 vacum secondary carb, and im not sure exactly what the compression will be guessing around 9.5 . This engine is not together yet but before when the intake was on the car it was a simmilar steup with a little more compression and about the same cam it had low vacum and not a whole lot of bottom end pull. I want to get some more bottom end but without giving up too much top end.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Clink69
Drifting

The RPM will not fit with any air cleaner drop base or not and maintain sufficient carb to air cleaner top clearance for the carb to meter properly with your hood.You might get it under there and close the hood but overall carb performance will be less than optimum.Even with a KN top.IMO

[Modified by mountainmotor, 5:57 AM 2/1/2002]
Don't think I agree with that MountainMotor. I got iin there and Dynoed with and without the K&N top and only saw 7-8 HP difference out of 340RWHP. It did require that I milled the primary side... Air cleaner going to suck that much power anyway isn't it?

See pics at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=219513

:flag
Old 02-01-2002, 02:01 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (Clink69)

You also don't have an air horn. That's why you can use the RPM intake. A carb with an air horn won't fit with the 68-72 base smallblock hood using the RPM intake. I trial fitted one with a Holley 3310 and the hood hit the air horn without an air cleaner on it.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:09 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Jester69Stingray. I've got the Weiand Stealth and 750 Edelbrock carb on my 79 with stock hood. Couldn't use the dual snorkel air cleaner though...... Will have to come up with a different base. JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy "Sidepipes are the way".
Old 02-01-2002, 02:30 PM
rainman69
Drifting

I've got a Weiand 3000 (whatever it is), and it appears to be of the same height and dimensions as the '70 LT-1 intake. It *barely* fits...i.e. under hard acceleration, the engine torquing can rub the air cleaner lid a little on the underside of the hood. This is with a 1 1/4" K&N drop base, the E-1650 (3") K&N filter, and the original chrome lid.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (gerry72)

You also don't have an air horn. That's why you can use the RPM intake. A carb with an air horn won't fit with the 68-72 base smallblock hood using the RPM intake. I trial fitted one with a Holley 3310 and the hood hit the air horn without an air cleaner on it.
Actually it did fit. Thats not why I removed the air horn, did that to increase the flow. It was pretty close to the top though. Variations in motor mounts, hood etc would cause others not to fit as mine does I guess. :flag
Old 02-01-2002, 06:24 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (Clink69)

I think a Holley carb Tunining manual would be a beneficial read about this subject of carb top to filter top clearance and the effects it has on the bowl vents and metering circuits :yesnod:
I have read about it many times

Think about this while we are at it.If the top of the carb to the top housing distance is 1.3 inches,how much breathing area is that? The 3 or 4 or even 5 inch filter used is thrown out of the picture! It would be 1.3 inches of height x the small diameter approx 6 inches" where the base drops close to the inside diameter,not the outside diameter.Is anyone following me?Also if the KN Extreme top is crammed against the hood,how much will it flow then?
Not nit picking really.Just a point to be made.Some follow build ups here on the forum and need to know the ins and the outs if someone else see's them :)
Old 02-03-2002, 09:35 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Clink69-- How difficult it to remove the air horn on that Holley? Does it simply unscrew or did you cut it off?

I have a Holley 3310 and for most of this year(I work slow) will remove my L-88 hood for prep and paint work. I'm going to put my stock hood back on so I won't have any Vette driving "down" time. I already know the Holley carb won't work with the air-horn attached.(hood won't close) But I haven't tried it with the L-88 dropped base. I was also thinking about that Pro-form Holley body that is available that has no air horn/choke.
Len :confused:
Old 02-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Weiland Stealth Intake (1970 Stingray)

Clink69-- How difficult it to remove the air horn on that Holley? Does it simply unscrew or did you cut it off?

I have a Holley 3310 and for most of this year(I work slow) will remove my L-88 hood for prep and paint work. I'm going to put my stock hood back on so I won't have any Vette driving "down" time. I already know the Holley carb won't work with the air-horn attached.(hood won't close) But I haven't tried it with the L-88 dropped base. I was also thinking about that Pro-form Holley body that is available that has no air horn/choke.
Len :confused:
Milling the carb: Remove the top of carb, remove choke pieces. Cut with jig saw and fine blade all but last 1/8 " of primary tower, then grind the rest with a good surface grinder. Take it slow its permanent. when your done grinding file the edges smooth.

Be sure not to go too far down, I left a little ridge on mine.

I suppose you don't have to remove top but at least remove the carb. :D

:flag

[Modified by Clink69, 1:34 PM 2/4/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Weiland Stealth Intake

Quick Reply: Weiland Stealth Intake