C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame and suspension paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 08:25 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Frame and suspension paint?

I am looking for some recommendations for what to use to paint the frame. I used POR-15 to do a truck recently but the sun really bleaches the color and the recommended procedure of using an airless sprayer turned out to be a mess. Any other products out there that will last.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:44 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Frame and suspension paint? (Brett K)

I have heard that the corroless product sold by Eastwood works really well on old frames. It comes in pint and quarts that can be brushed on or an aerosol to spray on. The finish is a rust color that doesn't need a topcoat. They also sell a chassis black aeorsol that works well with the corroless. I am order both of these products as a partial chassis resto kit, saves a little on price.

Hope this helps,
Stephen
Old 01-31-2002, 10:06 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I haven't purchased it yet, but I was planning on getting the POR starter kit. I'm wondering:

Did you use the UV coating they sell?

How exposed to the sun was the area (frame?) that faded?

[Modified by jerryp58, 9:07 PM 1/31/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:08 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with good old Rustoleum when I did mine. When you used the POR-15 did you put a top coat over it? If I was going to do a frame off I would have it powder coated. I did the job on mine over 3 years now and it's still looking good. I've only put about 5k on since then though and only on nice sunny days. The rest of the time it's garaged which of course helps it stay looking good.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:04 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Frame and suspension paint? (jerryp58)

No....we didn't use the top coat since it was basically just a means of stopping rust from starting on a plow truck. I was really pleased with how hard it was. We had to grind it off for a ground. Sandpaper wouldn't work. The product is a bit thicker than traditional paint and to add the top coat you have to also use a primer in between. If anyone is considering using the product I would recommend applying it with a foam brush. It works much better than an airless sprayer. I would not recommend the hardnose paints they sell as topcoats if you want something in color. Also you are better off buying it in smaller container sizes because it does not store very long after opened.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:19 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

DP 90. I think PPG makes it. 90 is the color designation. That's the black. They offer it in several different colors. It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame and suspension paint?

Quick Reply: Frame and suspension paint?