C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 03:11 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam?

Can you tell just by looking? Shouldn't the accompanying lifters have rollers on them too?

I'm working on my '89 350 from my Sub and was calling around for compatible parts. Some guys said from '87 & up the cam should be a roller. Others said it depends, but mostly the passenger cars got the roller??

How can I tell? I don't have the cam out yet, but the lifters are out along with the intake & heads. The lifters look like regular lifters??

Len :confused: :confused:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 2:11 PM 1/31/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 03:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam? (1970 Stingray)

Rollers means wheels. Hydro rollers were not in every chevy V-8 till 90 or so.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam? (1970 Stingray)

Guys with a good eye can tell a roller from a non roller. There's a visual difference in the shape of the lobe and the ramp.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:33 PM
Terrys69coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 70 stingray my 89 blazer fullsize had the new style motor with the center bolt valve covers and it had a regular hyd cam. Hope this helps. I believe that Z28s got them first along with vettes. Maybe they started with the vortec motors in trucks mid 90s. :chevy
Old 01-31-2002, 10:18 PM
89formula
Instructor

roller lifters have a roller on the bottom of the lifter. if it doesn't have any roller, then it's a reg hyd. cam.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:11 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam? (89formula)

roller lifters have a roller on the bottom of the lifter. if it doesn't have any roller, then it's a reg hyd. cam.
That only works if it's in the engine with the valve train installed. The lifters have the rollers, the cam doesn't. Stingy told you right - experienced builders can tell you by looking at the cam; to us normal guys it just looks like another cam. If you have an unidentified cam, you can have it dimensioned by a competent machinist and he can tell you what it is.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam? (lyonsh)

That only works if it's in the engine with the valve train installed. The lifters have the rollers, the cam doesn't. Stingy told you right - experienced builders can tell you by looking at the cam; to us normal guys it just looks like another cam. If you have an unidentified cam, you can have it dimensioned by a competent machinist and he can tell you what it is.
I'm not an experienced engine builder and I can tell the difference. Roller cams have a shorter lobe and the lobe has a slightly different shape to it.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:24 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks guys.

Terry, I think I'm in the same boat with your Blazer. Center bolt valve cover heads, cantered center intake bolts and hyd cam.

Lifters are not rollers.

Thanks again.

Len

Get notified of new replies

To How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam?

Quick Reply: How can you tell the difference between a roller-cam and non-roller cam?