C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:36 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!!

I have a frayed wire on my wires, and I have a 350 crate engine..... I have an HEI starter and I want a performance set of plugs and and wires... what should I look for, and anyone know a place to get a cheap set? 1979 corvette! Thanks men and women
FR8
Old 01-31-2002, 11:04 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!! (FR879vette)

ANY plug wires will work better than frayed ones. If you want good wires, they don't come cheap. Mallory, MSD, Taylor, Blue Max and the such work very well and are in the $43-70+ range. Cheapies? I guess so, but even the stockers are like $30. Spend the extra $20 and get some better wires.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:13 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that you should get reasonably good wires, and that you consider 8mm wires. Will have to get under the car to install properly, must remove the spark plug end boot, and route through the motor mounts for the front two wires on both sides, after removing the 'bomerangs' attached to the engine block, which can be seen, once under the car.

By the way, I assume you meant to say HEI distributor, NOT starter!!!!
Old 01-31-2002, 12:18 PM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!! (john's '81 mouse)

yes i did... thanks!! Thanks for all the info! Is it tough to do a rewire? I have done it on other vehicles... first vette
Old 01-31-2002, 01:08 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I just picked up a set of make-your-own 8mm Accell's at the local Advance Auto (I think around $40). I've been happy with them.

Installation is a bit of a pain if you have the shielding and route the wires through the motor mounts like stock. It was a little easier for me because I had my car on jack stands at the time and could work easily from below & above. I put the spark plug end on first, ran the wire to the dist and then put the dist boot on the wire (easier to get through the motor mounts & such that way). But you say you have a crate motor; do you have the shielding?
Old 01-31-2002, 01:43 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

As for spark plugs, try the AC Rapid Fires. I like em, think you will too! And take the good advise posted above concerning quality wires. Do it once, do it right. No regrets!
Old 01-31-2002, 03:26 PM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!! (ROD NOCK)

Thanks guys!!! I never doubted the better wires, just wanted some options.. :) I appreciate it!! you guys be available this saturday when i do this!!!!! hahaha thanks,

FR8
Old 01-31-2002, 09:53 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my 79, i use AC Rapidfire plugs with Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm wires. i custom cut them,$55 from folks who rebuilt my engine. they lent me the crimp pliers for free. i don't have any of the original shielding or plug wire holders except the "u" shaped metal channel coming of the back side of each cylinder head. a rubber grommet with 4 holes,set in line,fits down the u- shaped channel. i used the 45 degree boots that came with the wire kit. this angles the wire away from the engine and then by custom cutting to length and using some plastic wire separators and running the wires thru the grommet in the u-shaped channel, the wires have stayed put and away from the exhaust manifolds. i'm running stock exhaust manifolds,btw. i found this works well and looks good and is a lot less trouble. i removed the stock shielding because it's a PITA
Old 01-31-2002, 11:19 PM
medic007
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!! (Gary79)

Picking the wire is easy. Installation is the hard part, if you put them back the right way.

Get notified of new replies

To SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!!

Quick Reply: SPARK PLUGSSSSSSSS???? HELP!!!