C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What time is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:33 AM
skinsfan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What time is it?

I have a stock 77... and the clock has a mind of its own. Sometimes it works for days... and then there is the rest of the time when I have to keep adjusting the clock to the correct time... (this is not my biggest problem). Has someone had this prob and fixed it without having to go out and get a new clock.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:58 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What time is it? (skinsfan)

When they get to that condition, they are usually terminal. You might get a couple years by taking it off and cleaning the mechanism and oiling it with clock oil. Don't use WD-40, it will work for a while, then the carrier will completely dry and leave a gummy residue.
But if you go to all that trouble you would probably be better off sending the clock in for repair, or replacing the guts with a Quartz movement. All the Corvette parts dealers sell them.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:13 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: What time is it? (Smokehouse69)

I gave up on the mechanical guts also and went with quartz. Except for the way the second hand moves (jerks, not smooth) you can't tell the difference. Well, except now it keeps time and works..... And some may say you don't need one if you have replaced the radio with a new one that has a digital clock then you can put a meter, of some sort there. I still have the original radio (updated internally) without a digital front so I fixed the clock.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:47 AM
skinsfan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What time is it? (skinsfan)

Thanks for your suggestions.. I will soon be diving into the dash and center console to locate the problem with my ac doors. while I'm in there I will work on the clock .

Get notified of new replies

To What time is it?

Quick Reply: What time is it?