C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:08 AM
John's Shark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side?

Has anyone changed the tach drive cable on their early C3 (I have a 71) from the engine bay? Is it possible to pull the cable out of its housing and insert a new one? All the manuals I have read have you doing it from the interior of the car. I have an a/c car and it is impossible to do from the bottom of the dash. You have to pull the drivers dash pad and I don't want to go there if I don't have to.

John
Old 01-31-2002, 10:27 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side? (John's Shark)

How else are you going to get to the back of the tach? From what I see on a friend's '72 there is no access panel in the firewall. I'd pull off the top dash and loosen the bottom dash and move it out a little for maybe (?) better access than going up from the bottom. I know it is a major PITA to get the speedo cable on/off on my '75 by going thru the bottom.

[Modified by KenSny, 9:29 AM 1/31/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:58 AM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side? (KenSny)

Sorry, maybe I need to be more descriptive in what I am trying to do. I have my intake an distributor out of the car. It is a tach drive distributor, so the tach cable is exposed and hanging right there next to the firewall. Want I am trying to find out is can I just pull the cable out from its housing from there and insert a new one, or do you have to do it from inside the car behind the dash. It seems to me the only reason you would have to do it from inside the car is if there is something about how it fits into the back of the tach housing that would prevent it from sliding out from the opposite (engine bay) end. I really don't want to have to take the dash apart again! Did that last winter. Should have done it while I was there. :cry
Old 01-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side? (John's Shark)

There is a clip that holds the cable to the back of the tach guage. You will have to access it to unclip it, and then to clip on the new one.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:07 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, in that case...... I think you are talking about the inner cable and it may be possible. Have you tried to pull the inner cable? Does it come out? I would think it's kind of like a speedo cable....
Old 01-31-2002, 11:14 AM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side? (KenSny)

Yes, I am talking about the inner cable. Eric 70, I know about the clip on the back of the tach housing. That is why I am so po'd at myself for not changing it last winter when I had the dash apart. I am hoping it is like the speedo cable where you just pull out the inner cable and slide a new one in.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

You should be able to change the inner cable.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change the tach cable from engine bay side?