C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 r/Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 08:48 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default C3 r/Pinion

Well finally got engine back in car for test fitting, pan just barely clears rack, very slight rubbing on the rack bellows, might just ding oil pan rather than mess with brackets anymore....undecided....
Hose routing was very easy, stock Grand Am hoses will work fine, just bend them a very little, I chose to run the pressure hose under and over the outside of the frame, forward of the brake hose, forward of the brake proportioning valve, and use the same 3/8 brass compression fitting I used before, for 4+ years, to hook up to a stock output pipe, cut with pipe cutter to ensure no leaking, of course...
return hose was easy too, routed inside with a 90 bend from Grand Am return hose toward engine block, then around smoothly to the top of the reservoir, I have the serp system, stock pump would be differant, of course...this is a lo pressure hose, so clamped.....
have not fired off the engine yet, as it's not running, but as a manual system there is no flex in the mounts, and input shaft arrangements seem fine....and that's with 255 tires in front....
total cost is way less than 200 bucks, junkyard rack, and a bit of welding by a friend....
rack with hoses, clean and good shape, no leakage evidence 35 bucks.
some iron frome Home Depot....20 bucks, adaptor block for tie rods...80 bucks at machine shop...solid steel....lengthening stock rods....easy...
just use 9/16 or 14?mm rod in center of cut stock tie rod adjustment sleeves, weld good, and then I covered outside with pipe from an old garage door...the one up top the spring wrap around....neighbor changed out his door, and well....hey...price was right and it fits....;-))) makes a nice good looking adjustment collar and it adds strength too....

so anyone really can do this, helps to have welding buddy helping...
I"ll post pictures when and IF I can figger out how to get them online, and size reduced....

GENE
Old 01-31-2002, 09:01 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C3 r/Pinion (mrvette)

Sounds good Gene, Think you'll be back on the road by summer. ( not that it matters living in Florida and all :rolleyes: )
Old 01-31-2002, 09:06 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: C3 r/Pinion (427V8)

snicker, 80f yesterday....sunny, warm...arthritis quit hurting for a change...
If you are young enough to care, I"d MOVE south....I waited too long, should have done it decades ago...

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To C3 r/Pinion

Quick Reply: C3 r/Pinion