C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Failed Emissions..Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 07:56 AM
rjs82vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Failed Emissions..Help

I have an Stock 82 Crossfire and it failed emisions... the NOX was fine but the other numbers were high... if anyone has any ideas what it may be.... I dont have a lot of time for trouble shooting right now so I am trying to get a quick fix..... Also I have to prime it when I first start it in the morning.... I think I may have an injector leaking but I am not sure weather this would cuase it to fail... rjs82vette@hotmail.com
Old 01-31-2002, 09:24 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (rjs82vette)

A leaking injector would cause a failure in CO, but not necessarily the HC. I assume your NOX was well below specs (as is usually the case when the engine is rich). Get the fuel system professionaly cleaned, or if you have the time, put a couple of tanks of Techron through the system to help clean the injectors and valves. Before inspection, install new plugs, change your filters and oil and make sure the engine has been operating for an hour or so to get the temps at optimum.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Calm Screamer2
Racer

Is the smog pump still operational?
I agree with gerry72, replace both air filters, change oil and oil filter, change spark plugs, and use high octane fuel.
I assume the timing is correct. I know it's computer controlled but if the knock sensor or other timing related sensor is malfunctioning, this could cause the timing to be off resulting in bad emissions. The fact that you have to prime it in the morning tells me you definitly have something wrong with fuel intake. In other words, don't be fooled into thinking the car has only one problem.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (Calm Screamer2)

Your car is running rich. The egg style injectors are not prone to leaking, it's much more likely a false O2 signal. This can be caused by the AIR system. If the checkvalves on the headers are leaking or if the 2nd diverter valve doesn't switch to the catalytic converter oxygen will be introduced into the exhaust BEFORE the O2 sensor, giving a false lean signal. The ECM will enrich and you'll never pass emissions. An exh. leak in front or shortly after the O2 sensor (or a leaking O2 sensor bung) will give similar results. The stock shorty headers have a "knuckle" connection to the Y pipe. They often leak there. If there are traces of carbon on the pipe check it, if exh. gas can flow out air can come in!

Marck
Old 01-31-2002, 11:58 AM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (Twinnie)

Now Im confused. I thought air was injected into the headers from the smog pump. Does exhaust flow out of the headers up through the little tubes connected to each port to somewhere else? :confused:
Old 01-31-2002, 06:46 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (TJKirby82CE)

The flow is from AIR pump to headers. I agree with the the rich scenario. My 82 passed without the AIR working and with a gutted cat. It boils down to having your cars temp up at the inspection and not running too rich or too lean.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:50 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (TJKirby82CE)

Oh sorry about the unclear statement about the tubes. You're correct, air is pumped into the headers and the valves keep exh. gas from flowing back. If the valves are shot exh gas CAN be pumped back and mess up the valve so that it does NOT switch to the cat anymore, I recently fixed an 82 for a friend who had exactly that problem. His diverter valve was burnt up.

Marck
Old 01-31-2002, 10:51 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 82 Failed Emissions..Help (Twinnie)

Hey Twinnie that engine is absolutely obscene ,,,,,,,,,,, yah just gotta love it !

G
Old 01-31-2002, 10:59 PM
rjs82vette
Racer

I didnt have the test results with me when I posted...

HC ppm 278 @ 15 MPH 242 @ 25 MPH
CO% 2.41 @ 15 MPH 2.31 @ 25 MPH
NO ppm 281 @ 15 Mph 319 @ 25 MPH

Thanks for all the help.... I will check it out this week end... If I'm not working...

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Failed Emissions..Help

Quick Reply: 82 Failed Emissions..Help