C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle thoughts revisited-

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Idle thoughts revisited-

Money is no object. I am going to save up until I can afford this project- I want to open the motor once and not do it again for a long time, if ever. I want my 'vette to run *smooth* and hit at -least- 350 hp. Thus the XR264 Hydarulic Roller. The best heads for the job seem to be the AFR 190's, they are smaller than the TFS 23 Degree Heads (better torque?) and flow better (more power). All tests I've seen put these heads on top of the TFS 23 deg heads, and at only $400 more, I would rather buy the AFRs and stick with them. $1000 is ~not~ a major deal to me, but I am more concerned w/ driveability and sniffers than anything. Will this roller cam drive as smooth or smoother than the XE 262/268 or the CS260 CS268? Now, I know you guys might think I'm rich or something, but I am definitely not- I've been dreaming of doing this for a long time and will do what it takes to get the cash to make my baby purr. I do not mind at all running 92 octane, just looking for power to make this thing go.
So, here are the specs revisited:
XR264 .487/.495 I/E Lift, Duration 264/270 @ .006", 212/218" @ .050" lift
AFR 190's, street package w/ EFE 68CC
Whatever compression I can get w/o changing pistons.
Hedman Hedders #68301 w/ EFE and AIR fittings
true dual 2 1/4" exhaust, dual cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
4L60 transmission (Corvette kick-down servo, BTO kit) w/ 3.55:1 rear gears
Performer EGR #3701
Q-Jet rebuilt by Lars. :)

Thanks to everyone who replied, and I am grateful that you took the time to help me out, so don't take this as a disrespect or anything. I just want to get the most I can out of this car without sacrificing much driveability. For reference, the LM-1 has the stock L-48 cam and 8.5:1 compression with 72CC heads.
Thanks in advance, guys! I appreciate your help(tolerance) very much. :)
-Steve(Who can never stop day dreaming...)
Old 01-30-2002, 09:08 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle thoughts revisited- (Pacin'California)

Call Jay Adams on the Comp Tech line to find out what has been passing the sniffer.Your key to success will be high lift and low valve overlap.Recommend some compression to go with it though.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Idle thoughts revisited- (mountainmotor)

I think I'm starting to get it- The AFRs are basically better suited for a motor built from the ground up than my motor, mm? It also seems as if the TFS heads will have better torque than the AFRs as installed.
As far as cams go, I still really like the idea of hydraulic roller... and having decided to try out the TFS instead, will have a little more money to put towards the cam. Am I still insane to try out the roller? Duration @.050 is comparable to the XE256... LSAs are identical.
Will the 264 put out more emissions? I mean, BSeery got the ZZ4 cam to pass sniffer. How does that cam compare to the XR264?
Thanks so much for the help, and for tolerating my cluelessness. :)
-Steve

[Modified by Pacin'California, 8:06 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 09:25 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

(Will the 264 put out more emissions? I mean, BSeery got the ZZ4 cam to pass sniffer. How does that cam compare to the XR264?)

I believe he has 1.5 point more compression than you have-gotta be able to squeeze the mixture a larger cam lets in-overcome the fact the valves are open longer

Old 01-31-2002, 12:39 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

With the Iron Eagles installed and similar gaskets to stock, I should be running at about 9.3:1 compression. I could probably raise this further through creative use of head gaskets. :)
At this point, am I looking at a more realistic compression ratio for the cam?
-Steve
Old 01-31-2002, 02:10 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Yes :)
Old 01-31-2002, 07:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help:
Last question! Do the Iron Eagles come with an exhaust crossover, or am I supposed to wing this one too? :)
If not, is there another pair of heads that run as well as the IEs that do?
How would the TFS head run at 9.7:1 compression? I can get them very close to 10:1, too.
-Steve

[Modified by Pacin'California, 3:57 PM 1/31/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Idle thoughts revisited-

Quick Reply: Idle thoughts revisited-