C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:44 PM
LemonShark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID

I just looked at a 66 roadster for sale. It has a 69 427 COPO motor in it!
However, the Owner is not sure if it is an original BB - but reputable people have told him it was. The VIN is 194676S125953. Does this help? What other factory options could I look for to verify?
Old 01-30-2002, 11:47 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID (LemonShark)

nope, vin only tells you it is a 66 Chevy corvette convertible, and roughly when it was built. Looks like it was pretty late in the model year, as the last vin was # 27720. (19467 is convertible, 19437 would be coupe). No engine info in the vin until 1972 model year. You might try asking in C1/C2 for identifying clues as to whether the car was originally a bigblock. MJ
Old 01-31-2002, 09:15 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the NCRS guys over in "C1&C2 Corvettes", and "Factory Correct Resto." They're very helpful and VERY knowledgeable! Good luck!

:yesnod: :chevy :yesnod:
Old 02-01-2002, 07:58 PM
LemonShark
Advanced

Default Re: PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID (MassVette)

I got some great info over there.

Thanks for your help...I think i'm going to be the owner of a 66BB roadster!

Everything is really macthing up!

:D :D :D
Old 02-01-2002, 08:12 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

LemonShark,

I have some really good advice for you. If you are new to the Corvette community and are going to make a large capital expenditure by investing in a vette....I would look into requisitioning the knowledge and expertise of a Corvette hobbyist, NCRS judge, Corvette friend, anyone who knows really what a numbers correct car means, determine market value, and give you a ballpark price of repairs or mods you will have to perform. No, they don't work free. BUT, the money you spend up front could save you thousands in purchase price, over-inflated selling points, mistakes to the car that cannot be seen by the novice buyer...etc.

Many, and I mean many a person have set out to buy a C2 and been burned big time. There are plenty of C2's out there that have been tampered with that you shouldn't spend money on.

Take your time, seek the right person, maybe your local NCRS chapter, local Corvette club, maybe here on CF or the NCRS website. Do it right the first time and you will save time, heartache, and damned sure will save the couple of bucks you pay someone to look at the car with you. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 02-01-2002, 08:34 PM
LemonShark
Advanced

Default Re: PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID (topless68)

Thanks for your honesty.

I did just that. Had a camaro guru id the motor.
Had three other independent guys look over the car. Of course none would put in writing that it is a BB, but two of the guys knew the long history on the car and would verbally say that it is a BB. I know of the potential problems out there and even if this car wasn't really a BB it is basically a very solid driver.

It is a roadster with a 69 427 512 block. The frame is solid and the body and interior are straight. The price is $25,000. It had some mods so its not perfect. Best of all its not $35,000.

Thanks again!

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP with 66 BB ID