C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this size TT II fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:05 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will this size TT II fit?

I know this is kindof a FAQ, but I'm going to start looking for deals on the rims for my 68.

I'm looking at 16x8 in the front with 4" backspacing. Will those fit?

I want to go the widest I can on the back without offset t-arms, or hanging out the wheel well. Will 17x9.5 with 5" backspacing and 3/8" spacer fit? Would 9" fit better? What should I do on the back?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:22 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Default Re: Will this size TT II fit? (ddn)

These are 16X8's all around with 255X50X16's all around, no rubbing, no mods! :D
Old 01-30-2002, 08:26 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will this size TT II fit? (SEE3ER)

What backspacing? I love the 16x8 look on the front of yours (Actually I love your whole car) but I like a bigger back. A 'la C5. I think I'll be the first to try that on the C3?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:05 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

TTT?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:35 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same idea a few weeks ago; 16x8 front and 17x9.5/11 rear. I also think that 16" fronts looked better than 17" fronts, and 16" on the rear looks a little small. I had tons of pictures to back up my claim.

What changed my mind is SmokedTires pictures, and someone mentioning to me that it's all about the ride height and wheel well spacing that creates that optical illusion. I've decided that after my tranny swap, I will be purchasing wheels/tires. They will be TTIIs 17" front/rear, with flares on the rear to bulk it up a little bit.

Check out this link to view SmokedTires vette. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=226356
Notice in the picture how it's VERY hard to tell that his front wheel is 17" and doesn't look too big. If the rear was lowered a little bit (sorry smoked! this is IMO!!), then that's almost the final result that I'm shooting for. Add some flares and 17x11's on the rear with some 315 or 335 meats and you have exactly what my goal is for my vette in the future.

Also as someone pointed out to me, 17" tires give a HUGE performance advantage over 15" tires and also 16" tires. Why would you want a tall sidewall on the front (reducing handling) when you could buy a 17" for the same price and get more performance out of the new rim you're buying?

Sorry I can't help you with the backspacing because I need to find out this information myself. However, when someone replies then it would help both of us in the future! Good luck!

:seeya
Old 01-31-2002, 10:06 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Will this size TT II fit? (FroDaddy)

Check this thread out on the same topic:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=229437
Old 01-31-2002, 10:24 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Will this size TT II fit? (FroDaddy)

Check out this link to view SmokedTires vette. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=226356
Notice in the picture how it's VERY hard to tell that his front wheel is 17" and doesn't look too big. If the rear was lowered a little bit (sorry smoked! this is IMO!!), then that's almost the final result that I'm shooting for.
Yo Fro, that's ok, as I've been thinking of lowerinh the back of the car just a bit also when I put it all back together ;) . I'd still like to add the offset t-arms & mount 9.5's in the back when I can :) .

One thing about going with 9.5" in the front, is you may get some road wandering with the wider wheel/ tire in the front. GM tried this on the C4's but got enough complaints from customers about the way the car drove that they went back to 8" wide in the front.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they will. The part number for the you need for the 16x8 TTII is in my signature.
Dan
Old 01-31-2002, 11:54 AM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I installed 17" TT ll on my 80 last summer. I tried the 9.5" wheels first (with stock backset) and they were too wide. The only other choice in that line is 8" wide wheels. I called Nitto to find out what tires would work with that size and they confirmed that 275 were acceptable. This is the set up I went with and they fit perfectly. They made the greatest improvement on handling so far.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:44 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will this size TT II fit? (ENCHANTMENT)

I'm still trying to figure this out exactly. The fronts are easy, 16 or 17x8 4" backspacing.

I like wide tires on the back, the bigger the better, but I dont want flares, and cant afford offets right now. Can I fit 9.5" without offset TAs or flares? I looks like gkull runs 17x9.5 with 5.5bs and a 1" spacer. What other options are there for running 9.5"?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Will this size TT II fit?

Quick Reply: Will this size TT II fit?