C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:42 PM
mean8t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit?

I am looking at ARE's webpage and I saw the custom wheels and I was wondering which ones fit on our C3's. The factory backspacing is 4",right? Also I am looking for 17x9.5 fr and 17x11 rear, is there anyone that has run that size rim? Did you run into any problems with the wheels fitting on your Vette? Anyone with these size rims please chim in and give me your feedback on how they fit and what if anything did you have to modify. Thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 04:53 PM
bhays
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (mean8t)

I went to my local dealer and was told that they are available in custom offset, but only in widths up to 10". I hope he was incorrect, but I have not followed up with another source yet.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:56 PM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (bhays)

I think he might be b/c on their website they have two different listings for 17x11 in custom offsets. Here is the URL:
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...IICustomOffset

[Modified by mean8t, 2:57 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-30-2002, 05:09 PM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Ok...Just to make sure that I don't get FLAMED..This is what ''I'' did.

I do have TT2s 17x9.5 on the front and 17x11 on the back.
BUT I went with an EXTREME offset on the rear ( which BTW were a special order and I payed EXTRA for it) so I wouldn't have to deal with spacers, offset trailing arms.
BUT I planned on ZL Flares so the 3 1/2 inches of tire sticking out on the original rear quarter panel was/is NOT a problem.

I was ''warned'' about bearings etc etc...but I took all that into consideration and have had the suspension etc etc redone.

I am quite pleased with the ''look'' but that is what I wanted. Don't expect anyone else to agree or disagree.

If you wanty to see pics click on ''Perfection In Progress..Project 79'' and go to Page 6.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:20 PM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (LakotasRose)

LakotasRose,
I have a few questions for you. What offset did you use? And you said 3.5" sticking out. Could you run a different backspacing to get the wheels in a little more (I mean is there clearance on the inside, say about an 1" or so)? TIA
Josh
Old 01-30-2002, 05:27 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

LakotasRose, what bs did you use for the 9.5" up front ? Did you have to trim the inside of the fender lip or anything to get it to fit?
Old 01-30-2002, 05:39 PM
LakotasRose
Race Director

LakotasRose,
I have a few questions for you. What offset did you use? And you said 3.5" sticking out. Could you run a different backspacing to get the wheels in a little more (I mean is there clearance on the inside, say about an 1" or so)? TIA
Josh
..no..can't run a different back space without spacers and off set trailing arms on 11 inch wheels.
mine sits real close to the calipers...less than an inch.
I have a bit of a ''problem'' trying to explain just what the offset/ back spacing is..I always tend to get it confused...but the way mine are set on the back is *from the inside to the outside... is 3inches then the spokes then 8 inches to the outside of the wheel. I have 315 Pilots for tires.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:42 PM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (SmokedTires)

LakotasRose, what bs did you use for the 9.5" up front ? Did you have to trim the inside of the fender lip or anything to get it to fit?
I went with the standard. Didn't have to do any trimming..the wheels fit just inside the lip for the fender. NO problems with rubbing..turning radius or hitting the calipers. went with 275 Pilot tires.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:43 PM
mean8t
Racer

Ok, the brakes are real close, but how far between the inside of the tire to the trailing arm?

[Modified by mean8t, 6:43 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 08:58 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Lakota, since the centerline of the tire/wheel is no longer damn close to the bearing centerline,....what did you do to strengthen the bearings/hub arrangement???
I hear the loading is horrendous on them when things are done like that...as evidenced by ricers with offset wheels....and camber all screwed up....just makes sense when thinking of it....wear has to be much greater...

I think I would move the e-brake mount tab behind the caliper, and pull that wheel in a bit....like I did...PIA I know, but better than chances of something breaking....

GENE
Old 01-31-2002, 03:14 PM
mean8t
Racer

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (mrvette)

Lakota, since the centerline of the tire/wheel is no longer damn close to the bearing centerline,....what did you do to strengthen the bearings/hub arrangement???
I hear the loading is horrendous on them when things are done like that...as evidenced by ricers with offset wheels....and camber all screwed up....just makes sense when thinking of it....wear has to be much greater...

I think I would move the e-brake mount tab behind the caliper, and pull that wheel in a bit....like I did...PIA I know, but better than chances of something breaking....

GENE
MRVETTE
What size rims and tires are you running? I was thinking the same thing and increase the wheel offset from 3" to either 4.5" or 5" which ever I can do. When I say what Lakota did I too was concerned about the bearings and I am not going to buy offset trailing arms either b/c I am going with Guldstrand's 5 bar rear suspension.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:01 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Default Re: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit? (mrvette)

GENE
I was ''told'' about the ''stress''.
I have everything replaced..urethane bearings..new trailing arms etc etc etc.
The camber was ''off' . of course changing wheels sizes will do that..but I had it re-aligned.
Wheels sit flat and level now.

Why move the e-brake mount when it isn't even ''in the way?''

I ''knew'' what I was getting into when I first decided to go with the ''big'' wheels...I talked at length with my tire guy and my mechanic.
Since I don't plan on racing I am not too worried about it.
Have had the wheels on there for a few months now...and so far no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit?

Quick Reply: Torque thrust II's how did you get them to fit?