C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers or Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers or Manifold?

I've been on the forum alot lately with many questions regarding headers. I just recently lost my left exhaust manifold and it's been a rough adventure trying to find a replacement. Corvettes have a different exhaust manifold setup and all the salvage and junkyards around here don't have any manifolds for my 79 Vette. Ecklers has one for $220 (For just one) but after seeing the prices for headers I figured I'd switch to them. I live in southern IL and have yet to take an emissions test. My only problem with going for headers is the true dual exhaust setup vs. the 2-1-2 setup that the car factory built came with. For emissions I would have to pass the basic idle test which isn't a big deal by any means, it's the visual test that has me worrying a little if I go for true duals. My younger brother who recently took his 87' 300ZX passed the test and does not remember them doing a visual at all. The emissions site for IL doesn't state a visual test either BUT maybe it's something that can be assumed always takes place with emissions testing nationally. Should I just shell out the $220 and get another exhaust manifold or go for the headers. With headers should I go for the true duals or stick with a 2-1-2 setup and get a free-er flowing cat? Right now the emissions testing is pretty shaky with the visual being the only problem. Does anyone from IL who have done their emissions testing know for a fact they do a visual or is it a random basis thing, depending on where you go and who's doing the testing. I can live with taking the car to different places to have it tested.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:59 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Headers or Manifold? (Phoenix79)

If you are concerned about emissions, Why not get smog legal headers (Hedman) and have a shop fabricate a custom y-pipe to mate them to your factory cat-back exhaust. This is legal to do.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:06 PM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I sort of went through the same issue last year on my '82, except there's no emission testing in Al. What I decided was to go with headers (Hedman) and had a local muffler shop custom bend a set of true dual exhausts. I got the headers for about $170 and the exhaust system was $250.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:09 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call the emissions office and just ask them if it will be a problem. They will likely give you the "correct" answer that it is not allowed, but they may also give you the answer you are looking for, that no one will really care.

I did this a while back to a Triumph TR7 that I put a buick V6 into. I called and was told that only cars that originally came with duals could have duals. I put in duals, and they never even bothered to look.

Didn't your car come with the fake duals (2-1-2)? If so, I'd say that the likelihood of them looking is extremely low.

You could also just drive to one of the test stations and watch to see what they do. I have never seen them look under a car here since regular gas went away. They used to always check to make sure a cat was there, but I don't even think they have the mirrors in the station anymore. They don't check the gas filler tube anymore, and they don't check to make sure all your under hood stuff is hooked up anymore either.

Also, if you talk to the inspectors, they can give you a good idea of what you can and can't get away with I suspect.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:12 PM
1980 razz
Racer

if you decide to go back to manifold try checkin out ebay..ive seen sets go for around $100. that might save u a few bucks ..lol
Old 01-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Headers or Manifold? (john73bb)

I would call the emissions office and just ask them if it will be a problem. They will likely give you the "correct" answer that it is not allowed, but they may also give you the answer you are looking for, that no one will really care.
Just call from a payphone and don't give your name so they don't put you on a watch list. Yeah, I believe that stuff happens.

Actually, if you call, just tell them you are looking to buy a 79 vette and you would like to know what the emissions test consists of so you know what to check for before you spend your money. Also check around with any local clubs and see if they know anyone to take the vehicle to for inspection.

If possible, I would go with the Dynomax ceramic coated headers ($209), true duals, no cat, H-pipe and mufflers of your choice. However, if you have to keep the cat and stock exhaust, it's a toss up as to whether or not headers would really be worth it.

Another thing to look out for is if they check for the AIR pump. You would have to get headers that you can use the AIR pump with so you might as well stick with your manifolds if that is the case. The stock rams horn manifolds flow fairly well up to about 300HP which you won't have unless your 79 is modified.

[Modified by sharklover, 2:22 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-30-2002, 05:04 PM
nunus79
Drifting

$220 from Ecklers? Too high. Many parts stores carry replacement version of the manifold. The rams horn manifold is known to be one of the better flowing stock manifolds and is a popular "upgrade" for some.

An example I found was at http://www.partsamerica.com . They list a Dorman brand left side exhaust manifold pn 674-197, for $97.99.

Check around locally. A true dual setup using the stock rams horns manifold can get your Vette running very respectably.

PS 79 L48s don't have the AIR tubes so it makes things much easier too.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Headers or Manifold? (sharklover)

Headers will help with a good high flow cat back system. The new performance cats flow much better than your old one. But if you keep your old restrictive cat, then it isn't certain that you'd notice much performance.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: Headers or Manifold?

Luckily I know almost for a fact that the local emissions inspection station doesn't check for visuals nor do they look under the hood. Now the other problem would be getting a place to install a true dual setup on the car. Did most of you guys install a true dual system yourself? If so did you buy a kit or what?

It's probably alot easier to go for Dynomax headers and stick to the 2-1-2 setup with a better cat-back system. If it wasn't for these stupid emission laws I would be having a GRAND time picking out my new exhaust system. I don't plan on living in IL for more than 3 more years and with the exhaust manifold problem it was so tempting to go for headers I just couldn't resist it. But now I'm seeing a lot of kinks in my piping...err planning. Since the emissions test shouldn't be a problem, it's having the dual exhaust installed. Any suggestions as to what I could try?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:30 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of manifolds (2") that I would be willing to sell. I bought a spare set, ported them, cleaned them and painted them. When I put the new exhaust system on I just put the new manifolds. I was going to paint these also, but a couple of bolts snapped off and I hav'nt gotten around to drilling them out yet. So if you want to drill the broken bolts out, I'll sell them for $100.00 for the pair.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Headers or Manifold? (Leo001)

You have mail.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:44 AM
randy72
Drifting

Default Re: Headers or Manifold? (sharklover)

I just bought a set of brand new, 2.5 " rams horn manifolds from Jim Pace GM Parts (www.paceparts.com). They were $103 ea. Standard rams horns are 2". The 2.5" were OE on the 327 fuelie and may not be OK with all of the emissions on the 79 though.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers or Manifold?

Quick Reply: Headers or Manifold?