C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it?

I have been cleaning and detailing under my car and I noticed that the wiring harness at the very rear of the car, especially the single wires going to the lights have become very brittle and I can see some cracks in the plastic insulation. Is it a nightmare to install a new harness? Does the harness go the whole length of the car and connect to the fuse panel? It looks like according to the assembly manual the the power window and console harness is part of the same harness. If that is the case it must be a real job to replace it. I am not sure I am up to the task but I hate wiring jobs that are patched up with bubba's electrical tape and squeeze connectors.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:17 PM
still-learning
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it? (Binnie77)

Binnie,

I replaced the wiring harness in my '77. That should say something. :) It is dooable... First off, the wiring harness controls the interior roof light. So you need to pull of the driver's side quarter panel, door sill, and kick panel. The harness then plugs near the fuse box. The hardest part is getting the harness going into the rear since it runs down the frame. I was lazy and used the old wiring harness to pull the new one through.

You have to be carefull because if the wiring is not setup correctly it will drop on the muffler and melt (hence, my replacing the wiring).

Good luck. :cheers: Let me know what other questions you have...

Tim M.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:18 PM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it? (still-learning)

Oops. You also need to pull of all of the roof panels and the interior dome light. That was where I was going orginally...

Sorry.

[Modified by still-learning, 4:19 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-30-2002, 08:36 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it? (Binnie77)

Binnie77, I'm one of those guys that has had the harness hit the muffler during the car's lifetime, so if you do this, pictures (as always) would be GREAT!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it?

Quick Reply: Rear Lighting Wiring Harness...What is involved in Replacing it?