C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 10:44 AM
John's Shark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets?

I pulled the exhaust manifolds on my 1971 roadster to blast and paint and the doughnut gaskets on the two sides are a different design. The left is the traditional shape and material. The right is more of a soft metal with some type of sleeve. I need to know what to buy to replace them. I have pictures but can't figure out how to post. Can someone email me at Moorej@bswllp.com and I will send pictures for you to either post or help me figure out why they are different?

John
Old 01-30-2002, 10:49 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets? (John's Shark)

John, I'm reasonably certain that the right doghnut gasket as you describe is a replacement. You'll probably get longer life out of this metal gasket, however.

Both sides should have the sleeve - the headpipe insert that's about two or three inches long and rides above the gasket.

I suppose someone serviced the right side exhaust at some point - maybe dinking with the heat riser valve, starter or transmission?

GM
Old 01-30-2002, 11:25 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets? (John's Shark)

The gaskets should be the same for left and right. I agree with the post above, someone must have changed one in the past
Old 01-30-2002, 11:25 AM
John's Shark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets? (mayberg)

Guy,
The sleeve you reference, does it fit into the bottom of the exhaust manifold? Mine does not have them yet the seal between manifold and exhaust pipe was ok.

John
Old 01-30-2002, 06:16 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

The sleeve actually fits down through the gasket into the head pipe. I don't know exactly what it's called or what it's for, but I would think that it would help with heat and exhaust-puke getting past the manifold-to-head pipe area.

GM

Get notified of new replies

To Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets?

Quick Reply: Is There A Difference Between Left and Right Side Exhaust Doughnut Gaskets?