C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions test: What is the basic idle test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 12:11 AM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions test: What is the basic idle test?

I've been reading up on emission testing for IL at the main Emissions site for IL. Since my car was built before 81 I won't have to take the dynamometer, but I do have to pass the basic idle test. The site doesn't go into further detail as to what the basic idle test is...

I plan to take my stock 79 and install true cual exhaust with headers. Some people from IL have yet to ever have their cars tested and so far I haven't had to have my car tested during the 6 months I have owned it. But if I do...I would like to know what I'm up against. So back to the question, what is the basic idle test? I can infer that the car is hooked up to a machine and while idling is checked...but will dual exhaust complicate the matter and cause me to fail the test right off the back? That's my only concern. I've heard of visual tests but the IL Emissions site does mention it...
Old 01-30-2002, 11:11 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Emissions test: What is the basic idle test? (Phoenix79)

The idle test is pretty easy to pass. They will check CO and HC. Some states also check NOx. Even pretty radical cars can pass by increasing idle speed to the max allowed, retarding timing and leaning the mixture.

Problem is you would flunk the visual. You can't install dual cats on a car that came with a single cat.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:18 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Emissions test: What is the basic idle test? (zwede)

One tip I learned here in PA. If you can, take the car out on the interstate or open highway and run it. Get the motor nice and hot, blowing out carbon and then go to the test(after about 20 min.). You'll be suprised how low everything becomes.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:09 AM
NK77
Intermediate

Default Re: Emissions test: What is the basic idle test? (Phoenix79)

I just had my 77' L82 tested at the Schaumburg facility and it passed with no problems. I don't have any cats on a true dual exhaust and they didn't say anything. I also have a non-emissions Holley (quadrajet replacement) and a performer manifold and headers. I retarded the timing a little and used regular unleaded gas. I never thought it would pass, this was my first time through an emissions test. They did check the gas cap too.

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions test: What is the basic idle test?

Quick Reply: Emissions test: What is the basic idle test?