C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:50 PM
andre77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!!

I'm referring to my carb of course. I installed a new aed 750 HO carb on my brand new ZZ4 :D . The cars runs extremely well and strong but the fumes are killing me :nonod: . It's a mixture of gas,exhaust and sulfur, I think. When I rev the engine, I leave black soot on the ground :confused: .Also, when I'm done driving, I can still smell it on me. Does this have anything to do with the breaking in of my motor? I only have 100 miles on it. Any suggestions :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 01-29-2002, 11:24 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!! (andre77)

I know exactly what you are going through. Lean it up, BUT, make sure that you still have enough fuel during the power mode. Probably the best way to accomplish this is on a chassis dyno with an air fuel sensor. You can still get it much closer on your own by making changes in small steps.

Chuck
Old 01-29-2002, 11:44 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: (andre77)

"I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!!"
GREAT ain`t it ????
Old 01-30-2002, 02:50 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem.....installed fuel pressure regulator and adjusted pressure down from 12 psi to 5.5 psi as recommended by Edelbrock....no more black soot marks on the pavement and no more tears....Hopes this helps you....especially if you have installed a high output fuel pump on your engine.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM
andre77
Instructor

Default Re: I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!! (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Do you think it's possible to ever set the car up so I won't smell of fumes? Or is it just a fact of hotrodding? :confused:
Old 01-31-2002, 10:58 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not a fact of hot rodding. Don't continue running such a rich mixture, it washes the cylinder wall down with fuel shortening ring life. You need someone familiar with your carb and lean it way out. Not the jets so much but the idle circuit.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:56 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got your email...my AED is real rich right out of the box and I never could tune it down. I had a very weak vacuum signal (6" at idle) that made it almost impossible to tune things. There was a problem with that engine and the fact it had such low vacuum but it no longer exists and the carb sits atop something totally different now. Well, atleast it will by spring.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:52 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

I run an enderle mechanical fuel system on my 55.....You want to talk rich...When I first fire it up..Idling at 1400rpm it spits raw fuel in the air and ground for about 5-6 feet...In less than one minute your eyes are stinging and the smell of racing fuel has you gasping for air....After about 1 minute the engine starts coming up to temp and everything starts to lean out......Just can't wait for summer again....Really miss the smell and the stinging...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by BADCAIMAN, 9:55 PM 1/31/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!!

Quick Reply: I'm so rich my eyes are tearing!!!