C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with a carb adjustment!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:19 PM
kidice81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with a carb adjustment!!

Here is my situation. While I cruise along the road, my 81 has a quick hesitation. I guess its a hesitation, while at a constant speed the car feels like its not getting fuel for a split second and then it goes away sort of like a skip. I also have noticed that when I park it in the garage there is a heavy smell of gas fumes. I have had a tune up (oxygen sens., plugs, wires, cap, button, etc) but someone told me i may need to adjust the carb. Can someone let me know how to do this or does someone have a diagram that could be usefull. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 10:33 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Default Re: I need help with a carb adjustment!! (kidice81)

The first thought that comes to me is, you might have a fuel line leak somewhere. Could be that your fuel sys is sucking air when cruising, and leaking in the garage. Check those rubber hoses at tank and pump connections. Good Luck -Rod
Old 01-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You do have the stock carb, correct? Computer controlled quadrajet? Is there gas leaking out somewhere, or is the top of the carb, or the aircleaner saturated with gas? If it is idling, warm, and you stomp it to the floor, does it bog out, and smoke black out of the tailpipe? These would all be a sign of running rich. Also, what are you running for a cam?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:46 PM
kidice81
Instructor

everything on the car is original. If it is running rich, where do I adjust the carb. I'll check for a gas leak this weekend.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Running rich could be a bad float. That is what I would check first. If the car is stock, then the carb shouldn't need any adjusting. Something had to fail. Take the top off of the carb and check the float. After a number of years they get saturated with gas and sink instead of float. That could also be the result of the gas smell. If the float is bad the carb will overflow gas and you'll be able to smell it. Once you have it apart far enough to check the float, you might as well put a new one in. They're cheap. The float should be set at 11/32".

Get notified of new replies

To I need help with a carb adjustment!!

Quick Reply: I need help with a carb adjustment!!