C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but want to make sure I can HEAVILY modify it for power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 04:06 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but want to make sure I can HEAVILY modify it for power.

Hello all.
I can get an extremely good deal on an 81 vette. I have been looking and looking for a 96 LT4 convertible corvette... but think I might switch back to a C3. However... the power kinda well... stinks.

Can you help me with any modifications? (Intake/heads/cam/carb/etc)???
Also, what exhaust system would this take... full length headers?

Need some help and need it asap please.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 01-29-2002, 06:44 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I can get a good

Your biggest problem with the mods would be getting an inspection sticker. I think that Texas is difficult. In Mass all I need to pass is a safety inspection which is basically blowing the horn. A crate engine would be the best mod for the 81
Old 01-29-2002, 07:00 PM
American Boy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but want to make sure I can ... (Andy1983)

I have an 1980 and a 400 hp small block is on my wish list. Some have big block in there. You can modify this car as you want. Just be sure to modify your drivetrain in order to support the hp and torque your engine produce.

Stephan
Old 01-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default want to make sure I can HEAVILY modify it for power.

Andy

HP is no problem. You might want to start w/ what many call my Exhaust topic. The only minor hitch is the computer, you will probably eliminate it for heavy mods.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm
Old 01-30-2002, 02:31 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but ...

andy, my engine is in the works so i can't speek with any authority but i see no reason you cannot have a killer 350 that is smog legal :reddevil first off, the "comp-Q-jet" is rated at something like 780cfm so it can support even mild big blocks. if you don't want to do the building yourself, just get a crate motor and transplant the e-distributor and e-carburator from the L-81. get a real ignition system that will work with the e-distributor like a jacobs or MSD so it burns absolutely everything. another thing i did that helped when i lived in washington is i got electric fans with adjustable fan switch. this allows me to run the engine at ~180* when i want and crank it up to about 220* for smog checks. of course, if you build it yourself, the biggest component issue will be the cam overlap in how it passes smog. cats may be necessary to clean it up enough but i've seen 400hp cars go through in strip tune and pass the test with no smog equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but want to make sure I can HEAVILY modify it for power.

Quick Reply: I can get a good deal on an 81 vette, but want to make sure I can HEAVILY modify it for power.