C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold?

Old 01-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold?

Ditto. Gonna order this afternoon. Going on a 300horse 350 w/ 5750 shiftpoints for now.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:23 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (Jenny)

I got one...love it. No clearance issues for me due to my hood..so I have the polished rpm air gap.... (bling bling) :D
Old 01-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Go for it! :cheers:

What carb and air cleaner setup are you going to go with?

Old 01-29-2002, 01:56 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

If I was going for the biggest bang for the buck I would buy the Weiand Stealth. No intakes that you order come with fittings or gaskets. So normally you have to get at least one large brass plug and the heater hose to manifold adapter. Various straight or 90 degree brass vacuum lines.

It seems to me that when a friend was going to put on a Edel RPM it needed to be drilled and tapped for an addition vacuum line and the Stealth already had it. So he went with Stealth and saved money also.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:07 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edelbrock spends a lot of money advertising in the "Not Rod" magazines. It also gives away a lot of parts to "Not Rod" magazine editors to ensure its parts get used in projects. That's why its parts generally cost more than comparable pieces from other manufacturers and why the magazine articles always seem to make Edelbrock products look really, really good no matter how ho-hum it happens to be in reality.

Other companies have manufactured air gap style intakes for years. Edelbrock has simply done it with a low-rise intake and marketed the snot out of it like it's some kind of new thing.

Of course, I'm a diehard Weiand guy myself. Therefore I would have to second the vote for a Stealth on principle. That having been said, I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Edelbrock.

[Modified by The Dude, 10:16 AM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (The Dude)

Edelbrock spends a lot of money advertising in the "Not Rod" magazines. It also gives away a lot of parts to "Not Rod" magazine editors to ensure its parts get used in projects. That's why its parts generally cost more than comparable pieces from other manufacturers and why the magazine articles always seem to make Edelbrock products look really, really good no matter how ho-hum it happens to be in reality.

Other companies have manufactured air gap style intakes for years. Edelbrock has simply done it with a low-rise intake and marketed the snot out of it like it's some kind of new thing.

Of course, I'm a diehard Weiand guy myself. Therefore I would have to second the vote for a Stealth on principle. That having been said, I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Edelbrock.

[Modified by The Dude, 10:16 AM 1/29/2002]
Doesn't Holley Own Weiand??????????
Old 01-29-2002, 05:23 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (Alwyn678)

Doesn't Holley Own Weiand??????????
Yup. Lunati, NOS, Hooker, Flo-Tech, and several other companies, too. (I suppose I should Have said I'm a Holley/Weiand/Lunati guy.) That's all fairly recent--like within the past 5 years or so. And the companies that make up the "new" Holley are operated independently with their own profit centers, advertising budgets, etc.

It's just a brand preference thing. You like spending a few cents more to get Coca-Cola. I prefer less-expensive Pepsi. It's all good. :cheers: Doesn't take away from my perception that Edelbrock parts cost more than comparable parts from other manufacturers.

[Modified by The Dude, 3:06 PM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (The Dude)

I am using the Performer Air Gap with the mod's below
Neil in Tenn
Old 01-29-2002, 11:57 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Jenny-

I have just finished putting the RPM Air-Gap in, and everything fits under my stock '74 hood. Can't give you any performance numbers yet, but I am using a performer 600 carb, and I went with a drop base air cleaner and a 2 1/4" K&N filter. I'm going to try to get my roommates digital camera and post some pics soon. Hopefully when all the tuning is done, I'll be at about 390 HP (I've got Trick Flow 23 deg heads and a Comp Cams XE268).

Good luck. :cheers:
Old 01-30-2002, 02:35 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (thebruce)

Jen,
I think you may be happier with the Performer RPM Air Gap for your 383 in the future as it will flow better at the RPM's you'll be seeing (depends on what valvetrain you select though), so you might as well buy the RPM Air Gap now and save some money later. However, if you're buying a different intake for the 383, then go with the Performer Air Gap for the semi-stock vette. It will take some ingenuity to get the RPM to fit under the hood but I got it to fit on my 79 and others have made it fit on their vettes too. Ask Tom what he thinks will be better too, he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

[Modified by sharklover, 1:06 PM 1/30/2002]
Old 01-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold? (sharklover)

Jen,
I think you may be happier with the Performer RPM Air Gap for your 383 in the future as it will flow better at the RPM's you'll be seeing (depends on what valvetrain you select though), so you might as well buy the RPM Air Gap now and save some money later. However, if you're buying a different intake for the 383, then go with the Performer Air Gap for the semi-stock vette. It will take some ingenuity to get the RPM to fit under the hood but I got it to fit on my 79 and others have made it fit on their vettes too. Ask Tom what he thinks will be better too, he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

[Modified by sharklover, 1:06 PM 1/30/2002]
Jenny,

I have to agree with sharklover here. I have the RPM air gap in my 69 and after looking at all the possibilites thats what I chose for my 383. The performer might be somewhat restrictive, especially above 5K RPM. check out my install and the drop base I used:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=219513

:flag
Old 01-30-2002, 07:46 PM
JHL81
Racer

I have the Airgap intake on my 81 and it runs great. It fitted up no problem but it was originally a very tight fit under the hood and I wasn`t happy running with such a thin filter. I felt it was restricting the airflow so I opted for a bit more radical solution that is not to everyones liking. Now you can get K&N filter tops and I would recommend using one with a low profile base and a 2" thick matching K&N filter especially if you move up to the bigger motor.

Click on the link to See it and Hear it Run.

http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/corvettes/Open%20Pipes

J.

[Modified by JHL81, 5:57 PM 1/30/2002]

[Modified by JHL81, 6:01 PM 1/30/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Naysayers before i order the Airgap manifold?