C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 09:42 AM
honaker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidepipes?

Who's gottem, how much and where did you gettem. I'm thinking about putting 3" side pipes on the side. Non-stock of course.
:smash:
Old 01-29-2002, 01:10 PM
honaker
Racer

Default Re: Sidepipes? (honaker)

I know some of you guys have side pipes. Come on, help a shipmate out.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I'm in the process of putting pipes on mine. There are a few different options you can go with.

You can use the stock 1969 style exhaust with either chrome covers or the fiberglass look alike covers.

You can use the repro factory style fiberglass covers with dynomax or homemade side exhaust under them. Any shop can pipe some glasspacks under there. The dynomax are available at Jegs or JCWhitney.

You can use the Dynomax ones without the factory covers as they come with a decorative cover.

You can go with the larger header style Hooker pipes.

You can try to find a used set of the old aluminum pipes that they don't make anymore (I think they were thrush) and polish them.

That's pretty much what I've seen other do with thier vettes.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:37 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sidepipes? (lbell101)

If my signature picture is working, you'll see black 4" hooker side mounts. Many forum goers have this type. as for price, I'm canadian, so I get bent over the barrel on prices.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:54 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out my signature for the details and sound file of my side pipes. They have the JCL spiral baffles and are jet hot coated. Purchased pipes through Summit and had sent directly to Jet Hot.

Chuck
Old 01-29-2002, 02:00 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes? (Chuck Harmon)

I was using headman side exhaust headders, into stock style '69 mufflers an glass covers.

I'm now running custom headers into custom 3" exhaust which I hope will soon be feeding JCL's spiral baffles, or dump directly into the air for track racing :)

You can see the unpainted side pipe covers just below the girls thigh in the sig pic...well if the sigs ever work again:rolleyes:
Old 01-29-2002, 02:08 PM
still-learning
Racer

I know I am going to embarass myself by asking this but here goes. Does the cover protect people from getting burned? My wife has got enough reasons already to hate my vette. Can't see giving her another one...

:cheers:

Tim M.

P.S. Is the conversion from under car to sidepipe exhaust something that an extremely novice car guy like me can do??
Old 01-29-2002, 02:34 PM
honaker
Racer

Default Re: Sidepipes? (still-learning)

Well, I was actually thinking about having a local muffler shop just run a 3" stainless steel pipe down the sides. My concern mainly is sound. Basically what i describing is a pip straight from the header down the side of the car, however, i don't want to knock out the neighbors windows(or my own) when i fire the car up. What type of baffle systems are out there that might work.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:01 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Try JCL Spiral Turbo Baffles, everybody on the forum says they are great. JCL is a member here too, so just do a search on his name and you can get his website and email.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Sidepipes? (MikeC)

......I've got Hooker sidepipes and luv 'em. They tend to rust at the welds, but the sound that comes from them more than makes up for this. Don't even know if my radio works or not.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection," class of '71
Old 01-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Honaker,

3" is not much area to fit an effective muffler, 4" is barely enough and 5" would be better. A heat shield is a very good idea, my daughter got 2nd degree burns on her first ride in mine. JCL makes a very nice heat shield that works great and looks good. I just use one on the passenger side since I'm the only driver and I never wear short pants.

Chuck
Old 01-29-2002, 07:32 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes? (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck .. I read your testimonial on the spiral baffles, are you still as impressed with them after living with them for awhile now?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sidepipes? (gdh)

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 3:54 PM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sidepipes? (gdh)

I don't have nearly enough miles on the L88 to my liking. Since getting the new Z, my urgency in getting the L88 finished has diminished somewhat. However, my greatest concern was the substantial popping (backfiring) sound I get when backing off the throttle. This was greatly cured to the same level of the Z's backfiring when I leaned out the carb.

The pipes are not quiet when you stick your foot into it; but, cruising down the road it's fine. The L88 is not as quiet as the Z, but that is to be expected, after all, it is a L88! I do prefer an exhaust system that runs beneath the car but I lose ground clearance, more heat in cabin and against trans, harder to change clutch or T/O bearing when needed. Any other side pipe muffler is either way too loud and/or more restrictive. Until the JCL spirals I was ready to order pipes and headers for under the car.

My testimonial is as strong as ever!

Chuck
Old 01-29-2002, 08:00 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Heddman Headers, Thrush sidepipes. Bought'em used on the web, and had both the headers & sidepipes Jet Hot Coated!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:49 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes? (still-learning)

Well Patti's leg IS resting against the fiberglass cover in the pic in my sig. Doesn't bother her at all. ( and as you can imagine, not burning those legs is a top priority of mine:smash: )

I know I am going to embarass myself by asking this but here goes. Does the cover protect people from getting burned? My wife has got enough reasons already to hate my vette. Can't see giving her another one...

:cheers:

Tim M.

P.S. Is the conversion from under car to sidepipe exhaust something that an extremely novice car guy like me can do??
Old 01-29-2002, 09:02 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Sidepipes? (427V8)

The hardest part of converting from under the car to side pipes is getting the old exhaust off.

I just ordered my JCL side pipes for my Hooker Headers and can't wiat to install them. Jim at JCL has been very nice to do business with so far :) . He responds to e-mails very efficently :yesnod: .
Old 01-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Sidepipes? (SmokedTires)

Here are mine. Bought them through Jet Hot coating. Around $1,100. Hooker sidepipe setup

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipes?

Quick Reply: Sidepipes?