C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Tech question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 03:15 AM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Tech question

I notice a lot of you posting results from your G-Tech's here and was wondering how close they come in real life to 1/4 mile and horsepower (dyno) numbers?

They look like a cute little toy and great tuning aid (if the numbers are close to real life) and are cheap.Use that a couple times and cut down on any real dyno time needed and it is available any time you want to play.

Thanks all for the great forum.

:cheers:
Old 01-29-2002, 03:36 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: G-Tech question (gerry c)

the G-tech is very cool, it measures acceleration vs time and integrates to get velocity and distance for 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. horsepower is just the rate of energy or the work to displace a mass (must have accurate data). it's operation is simple, and the results are consistent. go to their website for precision and error values, but for the street, they are hard to beat.

i am waiting for the new model to come out, that also measures RPM's :D

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 11:38 PM 1/28/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 04:21 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: G-Tech question (Turbo-Jet)

IM not sure about their accuracy claims....never even bothered too look at. I have one and my buddy and I were prettty curious how accurate so we did our own test. Plugged it in on a run down the real drag strip and compared the time slip to the g-tech times
I dont remember it exactly, but for argurements sake, the actual ran was something like 13.33@106 while the g-tech said 13.39@105. Like i said, those arent the exact times, but it was close like that....and even if it was a whole tenth off, thats still great for something like that

I would hold off tthe one with RPMs though...sounds kinda neat tto have that. I just cant imagine how tthese things work??

Chris
Old 01-29-2002, 10:49 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: G-Tech question (74VETTE)

wait for the new one to come out...its downloadable to PC and has RPM's etc..
better display...blah blah blah...

i am waiting for this one....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...500126#1500126
Acceleration Times to 1/100 sec.
• G’s, HP & Torque Graphs
• RPM sensing through advanced DSP techniques
• Intelligent Shift-light
• Traction and Cornering light
• Works on any vehicle
• No installation, 4 accelerometers built-in

[Modified by ylose, 8:50 AM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 12:02 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: G-Tech question (74VETTE)

ET wise they are very accurate. I also made some passes at the track tocompare it in my C-4. It was within .02 on every run. Like track would say a 13.21 and G-Tech would say 13.23. Very close for something stuck to you windshield and plugged into cigarette lighter!

The MPH is very optimistic but it's not the fault of the tool. The G-tech calculates actual speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. The track measures AVERAGE speed through a 66' trap at the end of the track right before the line. My track speed was 105-106mph and the G-tech would read 110-111 mph. I'm sure I was actually going 110 or so at the end, but the average through the trap was 105 or so.

The Hp calculations are pretty close to. I used it in my '67 when I had the 427 in it. It showed 417-419 on the night I tested it including lots of wheel spinning and sliding around trying to get a good pass. During chassis dyno testing I measured 423 rwhp. So I would say it's pretty accurate considering what it costs.

Neat tool to play with to compare modifications.

Jim
Old 01-29-2002, 12:31 PM
yooperod
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: G-Tech question (427Hotrod)

427Hotrod
Thanks for the explanation on the trap speed. I couldn't figure why my '64 g teched 14.5 @100 mph. the 2 numbers didn't add up to me.
rod
Old 01-30-2002, 12:23 AM
gerry c
Racer

I want to thank all you for the replies on this. I did not think it would be so close (within a tenth or so). Gonna have to pick up one for the tuning I do. I got too many to do without that.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:15 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

nice to know the g-tech is that accurate. i have one and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem with theirs. i cannot get mine to calculate braking distance. every other funtion works correctly but braking. needless to say, i've read the instructions over and over but it will not stop counting braking distance. i've gone so far as to remove it from the windsheild and turn it on end and it still doesn't stop. the only ways it stops is when it gets to 500' or i shake it back and forth. have not gotten a reply from tesla elec. about this, just wondering if anybody else noticed a similar problem.

Get notified of new replies

To G-Tech question

Quick Reply: G-Tech question