C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 10:33 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER???

I was wet sanding the 2 front fender spoilers(The 2 end pieces for the front 3 piece spoiler) and noticed that there is some type of metal bracket that is all bent with studs riveted to the spoiler....My problem is that all the studs are broken and one of the spoilers is missing the bracket.....I'm not sure if it came with the brackets from the factory..Is so anyone have any Idea where I can order the brackets???...Or Am I going to have to order all new side spoilers???Any help would be appreciated..Thank you..
Old 01-28-2002, 11:00 PM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (BADCAIMAN)

you can order them just went thru this in oct 01 i forget now where i found the retainers but they were expensive we made our own if i can find out i will send you e-mail address other than this place i found that i had to buy the whole spoilers pieces which was also expensive
Old 01-28-2002, 11:10 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (78pace)

Would realy appreciate if you could get the info for me really need those retainers....Also how did you fabricate it...Thank you
Old 01-29-2002, 11:26 AM
SteveA
Advanced

BadCaiman - Do your outer ends fit your fender wells snugly? Is it factory or repro? I bought repros from mid-america (urethane). Each one only has one stud towards the top..and I just cant seem to get a tight fit with it. How many studs are there on this bracket to hold the end on?
Old 01-29-2002, 03:00 PM
Black79
Advanced

Hmm, my '79 has a 1-piece front spoiler. I could've sworn they didn't go to the 3-piece until '80. I got the 1-piece from Ecklers I think for about $30 with shipping last year.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (Black79)

One piece spoiler on a late '79 here.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The 1979 RPO D80 front and rear spoiler option (Pace Car) included a three-piece front spoiler. Some 6,853 1979s were purchased with this option. There was never a one-piece factory front spoiler on a 1979.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:21 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SteveA;

I got my repo's from Ecklers. One stud also. The fit is terrible. Can't get them to fit tight to the body at all. :confused:
Old 01-29-2002, 10:25 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (SteveA)

I am pretty sure they are original..They fit tight against the fender contour..The bracket I have has one stud I believe Top hole and 3 more holes that are tapped to except bolts from the fender in...I was checking it out today..Wondering if I can get away with caged clips on the spoilers and bolting from the fender to the caged clips..Just not sure if the urethane will distort under the clamping pressure...Need to get a set of those retainers..ASAP...Finishing the wet sanding and buffing tomorrow..Then I start to reassemble.....Anyone have any Idea where I can get a set of retainers...Thank you
Old 01-30-2002, 09:34 AM
GERALD
Instructor

My 79 has the 3 piece front spoiler also no rear spoiler Not for sure if it came from factory this way or not the fit is good
Old 01-30-2002, 10:17 AM
SteveA
Advanced

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (GERALD)

Here is what I found out so far. Reps from ecklers and mid-america say that they can't be positive, but they think the original outer ends only had 1 bolt. Spoke to the company that manufactures the repro's...they say because of the differences between each individual car, the ends might need to be trimmed to fit. I did this last night....trimmed some material off of the back of each end where it contacts the fender, and the front lip where it contacts the center section, and the fit is much better. They also suggested running a screw thru the back of the center section 'ends' where it connects to each end piece. I also decided to run another bolt thru the molded flat 'shelf' behind each end piece into the fender for extra support. Note: If you cut this stuff with a hack saw have plenty of extra blades.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Nickindy
Instructor

Default Re: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER??? (SteveA)

My original spoiler (3 piece) has what I call brackets. These brackets do have 1 screw at the top, but there is a bracket that is somehow attached to the spoiler end pieces that has some nuts welded to them that accepts about 3 bolts. Original fits good. I recently purchased L&R end pieces (aftermarket) and they stink. They just don't fit good at all. I noticed that the outer edge is alot wider than my stock ones, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I will be looking for stock ones at all the swap meets...just need the drivers side since it's got a good size crack in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER???

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP..79 VETTE FRONT 3 PIECE SPOILER???