C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help troubleshooting an Oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 06:50 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help troubleshooting an Oil leak....

Since I just replaced my valve covers, I thought that I had a leaky valve cover since I was losing so much oil, but I couldn't see any oil around the covers or on the header gasket? When I look in the engine compartment I see plenty of fresh oil dripping off of the Fuel pump and the chasis toward the right front corner of the block. There is also some spray on the inside of a couple of the header pipes as well as on the side of the engine bay directly across from the Fuel pump, just higher up of course. I am thinking that I have a busted hose somewhere that lets out oil when I'm driving. I have started the car and looked down in that corner and do see squat, so I believe that it only leaks when the engine is under a certain amount of load. Are there any oil lines over toward the right front corner of the engine just about where the A/C compressor should be ? I pulled the A/C compressor last week, is there a hose or something that could be leaking oil? :crazy: That wouldn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm no mechanic..........HELP!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help troubleshooting an Oil leak.... (Warp70)

Pressure wash it or gunk it down and rinse at your local car wash. Then drive it home and give it the once over. From the sounds of it, you may need a new gasket for your fuel pump where it mounts to the block. Oil can definitely leak from there if it isn't tight or sealed properly. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:57 PM
rdrman
Racer

Had a simalar problem last year. It was the valve cover gasket ..looked fine at idle drove it and smoked up a storm on the highway.Turns out that once the RPM's were over 2500 I could see it where it was leaking.Try looking with someone reving it up for you to 2-3k.New gaskets felpro the thicker one's cured the problem.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:57 PM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

The fuel pump gasket may be leaking. Remember there is oil on the other side of the fuel pump. I would clean everything up real good, take it for a ride and recheck those areas. :cool: :cheers: :seeya
Old 01-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Help troubleshooting an Oil leak.... (SevenT1Shark)

Ahhhhhhhh I didn't know that about the fuel pump, but guess what I did find!!!!!!!
A) I have a transmission fluid leak. This one I knew about due to cutting one of my transmission cooler lines. I patched it, but appearently not well enough.
B) At least one of the reason for the spay up in that area is that I found a fuel leak!!!! I have two steel fuel lines that are run along the frame up to that point. Both have rubber hoses that attached to them and one runs to the fuel pump. The other one just loops back and has a bolt sticking out of the end to keep it from leaking. It's just laying there and when I picked it up fuel starting shooting out from part of the rubber hose and I could hear an air leak from the same hose. What the heck is that line for???????? That explains why I thought it was oil since it is coated the parts that have old oil caked on and then it's dripping to the ground and looks like black oil. What is going on here, please advise :confused:
Old 01-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Shane,

The other line is a return line. Maybe someone replaced the pump by one that doesn't need a return line (if there's such an animal...)? :confused:

Anyway, you should replace the hose(s).... You must get molded hoses (all Vette parts vendors have'em), b/c if you try to use any ol' hoses they may kink and give you more headache (and we'll call you Bubba! :D ).

-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 6:26 PM 1/28/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 08:12 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Help troubleshooting an Oil leak.... (Pedro'74)

TTT I still need help on this one guys and gals. I added some new info, and want to know what to do with this other fuel line. Pedro'74 I'm not quite following you. If I have two fuel lines, and only one is being used. Why would I replace a 6 inch section of unused fuel line with molded hoses. My prmary feul line is fine(the one that goes to the Fuel pump) it's this additionally line right next to it that some one stuck a bolt in the end and then a worm clamp around the bold and hose. I could just replace that small section of fuel line and replace the bolt and hose clamp, but there has to be a better way then Bubba????
Old 01-28-2002, 10:24 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

What I meant to say was that you should replace the hose that is connected to the pump just in case. That's a critical part that is often overlooked...

Of course, that doesn't solve your problem... Originally both lines are connected to the pump. My guess is that if you're not using the return line (for whatever reason) then you should remove the hose that connects the return line to the tank, blow off all the fuel in the line, and somehow plug the fitting at the tank.

-Pedro
Old 01-28-2002, 10:35 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Help troubleshooting an Oil leak.... (Pedro'74)

Gotcha. I basically put it back the way it was with new fuel line and clamps for now. I am going to look into getting the correct fuel pump, so that I can utilize both lines. I spoke with silvervetteman and he told me the same thing you posted earlier. I was just a little confused when you mentioned replacing the line with a fitted hose or something like that.........I guess it should be fine for now since I haven't had a problem with that line in 3 years. Thanks :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help troubleshooting an Oil leak....

Quick Reply: Help troubleshooting an Oil leak....