C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 dist wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 06:32 PM
MilesM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 dist wiring

Just got a Vette and I am chasing a mid range miss. As I was checking things over it looks like the previous owner has done some wiring mods. Three different wires were landed on the + post and one resistance (cloth covered) wire that I was loking for. After seperating them all three had 12v+ when the key is on but nothing on the resistance wire. I checked when it was cranking and got 9+v on the resistance wire. This is different then every other early Chevy I have had. The resistance wire actually runs down to the starter which should be a normal wire for 12+v during cranking and the resistance wire should be coming from the Ign switch for reduced voltage while running. Of the three 12v wires, one is red and is not factory, one is tan (it is coming out of a harness that has a three prong connector on the end and it is taped of and not plugged into anythin) and one is black with red printing on it (do not think it is factory but it is coming out of a factory loom) that says "resistance" but has none. Before I go changing it back to what I think it should be I thought I would get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:40 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: 73 dist wiring (MilesM)

Something is not what it should be. You are correct in thinking that the resistance wire should show 6-8 volts with the key in the "on" position. a 12v line should come from the starter, suppling 12v only when the starter is ingaged.

Quick Reply: 73 dist wiring