C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Rebuild Documentation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 08:35 AM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Rebuild Documentation

As I had indicated in an earlier post, I am rebuilding the front end on my 79'. I have tried to capture most of the process and have begun the documentation. Please take a look at the following link and let me know what you think. It is in it preliminary stages and not complete yet.
http://24.28.237.140/Corvette/Front_...20-%20Main.htm

The navigation is awkard at the moment, it can only be done from the main page, so click a link of the main page then go back and click the next, etc.

Thanks, David
Old 01-28-2002, 10:33 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Front End Rebuild Documentation (DavidOrr)

DavidOrr: Looks very very nice in deed. I like what you've done with the documentation. Would you mind sharing that with the upcoming 1979 Corvette registry? (see my other post for details) Keep us posted! :cheers:
Old 01-28-2002, 01:11 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the info. I'll be doing this job (in addition to a steering rebuild) soon. What do you think of the job (labor wise) so far? What was the trickiest / most-difficult part?
Old 01-28-2002, 01:45 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Looks familiar! :) I did this job last year. Anyway, awesome pages. I love reading stuff like this.

Anyway, something to keep in mind is that I found a number of bolts didn't stay tight after I tightened them and a couple weeks later I went over everything and retorqued them. One of my upper control arm bolts was REALLY loose. Had the same problem with rear suspension. So a note to everyone doing suspension work, please be sure to check the bolts after you put some miles on them.

good luck
-terry
Old 01-28-2002, 01:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Very Nice job David, I'm sure it will help a lot of members. One thing I would like to add because I didn't see it was to use a support in between the control arms to prevent the press from bending them. I made one out of some electrical conduit-(EMT) I think it was 1.5" or 2" and worked well.
I wish I had your abilities with a digital camers and web knowledge! :cool:
Gary
Old 01-28-2002, 01:58 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: Front End Rebuild Documentation (jerryp58)

Jerryp58,

The job is not bad, hardest part I've hit so far is the control arm bushing removal. The uppers are fairly easy, the lower was a PIA. I did not soak them first in a lubricant - I think this would have helped. They were rusted and pretty much seized to the shafts. Made it real difficult not to bend the control arm and I did bend one of them about 1/4" - but I got it bent back so we'll see.

I just reinstalled one side (under 1 hr.), peice of cake - springs went right in - no problems what so ever. Labor wise I would dedicate a weekend to it - there's nothing real tricky - just common sense. In other words don't let the spring take your head off!

I'll be doing my power steering control valve once my parts come in. I'll post that process just like I am with the front end.

Terry,

Thanks, that's good advice - I'll retorque everything a couple of weeks after completion.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:06 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: Front End Rebuild Documentation (gtr1999)

gtr, thanks.

Since I'm on a budget I've got to use what I have available. So what you don't see is the picture where I used a pipe wrench to provide support for the upper control arm. The lower I did not have any problems with.

I left out the pipe wrench picture so I wouldn't seem to much like a bubba for everyone.

I still have to press the bushings on the passengers side control arm, so I'll shoot new pics showing a brace and update the pages accordingly.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion.
David

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Rebuild Documentation

Quick Reply: Front End Rebuild Documentation