C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I drop a steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Lefty Polaski
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I drop a steering column

The Tach and Speedo don't work in my 74 and I could use some help from the members. The Service manual says to "Drop" the steering column (see Chapter 9)". Well I've been through Chapter 9 and see insreuctions to remove it, Install it and even repair it but can' t see anything about how to drop it. Anyone have any Ideas? How do you get to your speedo and tach to install new cables? I've got the steering wheel off, the dash out,the center gage cluster unscrewed and even removed the ducting for the drforster, but can't move the left cluster far enough to get at the cables.
Thanks for your help
Lefty :confused:
Old 01-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: How do I drop a steering column (Lefty Polaski)

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. One of the first papers is entitled Adjust Dimmer and/or Ignition Switch - Dropping Steering Column and Adjusting.

After the column is dropped down so that the steering wheel rests on the seat, (or you pull the column right out of the car) you should be able to remove the rest of the screws that hold the speedo/tach cluster and drop it down far enough to get the cables off.

Quick Reply: How do I drop a steering column